new-to-me HZJ-80: making it strong again? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiseruser said:
Hey Andy, I wished you lived down the street from me! Look forward to reading more of your posts. Do you have diff locks on your cruiser? On my 96 80 they have not been engaging. Any thoughts? Or if anyone else remembers some good posts to point me towards. Take care, Ryan.

Yep got front and rear plus independant centre diff lock (just done the mod with a switch I got off eBay).

Could be the diff lock ECU if both are not engaging however I would first off check the switch, mine was like it when I first got it and that was because the clip broke off the plug in the switch.

Also the front and rear diff locks will only engage if the centre diff lock is engaged (i.e. in Low ratio unless you have the manual switch installed). There is a sensor on the transfer case which sends a feed to the ECU when the centre diff lock is engaged, if this is not working or the wire has come off the the front and rear diff locks will not work.

I also wish I lived down the road from you - well Arizona actually, getting fed up with the UK. Dad was a citizen and lived in NJ but I never got around to getting him to sponsor me and now he is dead so he can't.

So can you get these babies into the US? Obviously some have done it, but how?

HZJ60 Guy said:
So can you get these babies into the US? Obviously some have done it, but how?

Tolerance for gray market *or* significant investment.

A buddy of mine just finished registering a '00 FZJ70 in a western state. Definitely gray market, but he was willing to live with it.

Uhh, I believe drexx is in the Philippines and not the U.S.

Drexx-given your recent history, I would just load up the family and find a giant mud hole deeper than the intake to the motor. Then have at it. When the truck dies, make the ulitimate diesel 80. I'm sure your wife will understand!

27Jun2005 (UTC +8)

Cruiserdrew said:
Drexx-given your recent history, I would just load up the family and find a giant mud hole deeper than the intake to the motor. Then have at it. When the truck dies, make the ulitimate diesel 80. I'm sure your wife will understand!

I've learned a lot from those days... so that's why I got a pure HZJ-80 with a lot less electrical setup than the 'Merican FZJ-80's! No power windows, no power door looks, seats 10 people, no turbo, no EFI, no OBD-II, no need for center diff-lock circuit, not much carpeting and sound deadening, no nothin'. Just an easy-to-clean and fix 'Cruiser with indirect injection, mechanical fuel injection, normally-aspirated 4.2L diesel engine stick shift and part-time 4wd.

27Jun2005 (UTC +8)

It was a bit amazing for me to refuel last night with diesel and not have to shut the engine off. :) That would have driven the OBD-II system crazy!

Exiled said:
Tolerance for gray market *or* significant investment.

A buddy of mine just finished registering a '00 FZJ70 in a western state. Definitely gray market, but he was willing to live with it.

What exactly does "willing to live with it" mean?

Do you mean that he was *willing* to spend 50,000 grand to do it? Is that living with it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom