1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to diesels....have a couple questions

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech / 24 volts' started by In2cruisers, Aug 21, 2006.

1. In2cruisers

In2cruisers

Normandy Park Wa. ........now in San Diego Ca.
    #1) what are good compression #s for a BJ-60?
    #2) what turbos are recomended (junk yard) for DiYS turbo build up?

Thx

2. roscoFJ73

roscoFJ73

Media:
    Albums:
    The FSM lists 284 psi as a min, 427psi as the max with no more than 28 psi difference between any cyl.
    The test should be done at 250 rpm with glow plugs removed on the cyl not being tested

Junkyard turbo build ups,there is a wealth of info if you use the search button.

Look for brownbears posts as he is the resident boffin in this area;)
    Generally,most seem to use a turbo off a gasser that is about 1.5 litres smaller than the diesel engine.

3. brownbear

brownbear Mod in Hibernation Moderator

LOL! I must blab too much...... ;p Actually I have not even driven the turbo install I built on my BJ60. But it does pull 7 pounds when I rev it up hard in the garage :D

Just do a search on Turbo with the word 3B or what ever in the search. You will get tonnes of info. Also see in the FAQ for turbo install, there is a big thread in there.

I used a 13b-t manifold from GandS cruiser parts. Makes life easier, but it has a toyota flange on it. Hard to find junkyard toyota turbos. I think Garretts are more plentiful. You can buy an adapter for it. See a thread I made called "13b-t to garrett". I bought the adapter in the states from a turbo place. Precision something or other. Have to look for my old visa bill.

4. Martin White

Martin White

What does the FSM spec for a 1HDT for compression?

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">