New to area, Advise for my solo route plan please. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
lx with 2 inch lift, front locker, compressor and 33 inch terra grapplers

I am very experienced up to the level of what my rig can do and do not have any ambition to push that limit right now just wanna get away from the city for a weekend. I think the route in blue on the map will be safe to do with just one vehicle but want to be sure as going solo is never smart.

Also would appreciate any tips for places on or near that route to camp overnight this weekend.

If anyone wants to join I will be leaving serra mesa saturday around noon!

Thanks for the help!
279242545_338354548288078_1349239668880983341_n.jpg

That's a nice route there and we did it about a year ago. Certainly easy enough to do solo, the only mildly challenging spot on this route is the Diablo drop off and it's generally not difficult at all, just choose your path well going down. That said it can get quite rutted out by those who insist on trying to go up the drop off which is illegal. As for camping there are lots of places on your route, we most recently camped there in October '21 about 2/3 the way down Canyon Sin Nombre between Hwy S2 and the junction at S Carrizo Creek wash. In the park you can pretty much camp wherever you wish, but there are obvious places that are better than others and some places marked where camping is prohibited. If planning on a campfire, be sure to have some sort of metal container to keep the fire off of the ground; that is one thing that a ranger will cite you for out there. If you have time, the hike to the wind caves is great, but can be a bit over crowded on a weekend. Have fun!

That's a nice route there and we did it about a year ago. Certainly easy enough to do solo, the only mildly challenging spot on this route is the Diablo drop off and it's generally not difficult at all, just choose your path well going down. That said it can get quite rutted out by those who insist on trying to go up the drop off which is illegal. As for camping there are lots of places on your route, we most recently camped there in October '21 about 2/3 the way down Canyon Sin Nombre between Hwy S2 and the junction at S Carrizo Creek wash. In the park you can pretty much camp wherever you wish, but there are obvious places that are better than others and some places marked where camping is prohibited. If planning on a campfire, be sure to have some sort of metal container to keep the fire off of the ground; that is one thing that a ranger will cite you for out there. If you have time, the hike to the wind caves is great, but can be a bit over crowded on a weekend. Have fun!
Much appreciated!

Yep. Like Bud said should be easy in a LX. In addition to the dropoff, there may be some minor rough spots in Arroyo Seco Del Diablo and at the bottom of the dropoff before exiting into Fish Creek Wash. There should be plenty of people in those areas, so really not much risk going solo. There is a primitive campground after the wind caves with vault toilets (shown on your map).

Since you will be in the area, may want to check out Palm Spring, Mud Caves and not to miss Sandstone Canyon.

Yep. Like Bud said should be easy in a LX. In addition to the dropoff, there may be some minor rough spots in Arroyo Seco Del Diablo and at the bottom of the dropoff before exiting into Fish Creek Wash. There should be plenty of people in those areas, so really not much risk going solo. There is a primitive campground after the wind caves with vault toilets (shown on your map).

Since you will be in the area, may want to check out Palm Spring, Mud Caves and not to miss Sandstone Canyon.
As @sdnative said there will most probably be others along that route so in reality you won't be totally alone.

Excellent, thanks yall, really appreciate it.

Really awesome trip from San Diego round trip was 225 mi at 14 miles per gallon combined, very easy terrain, just one section was a little bit tricky because it was off camber and soft on the downhill side, got to watch a group of.... people... trying to climb Diablo drop off without lockers and dig some enormous holes. Would like to go back but avoid the north section past Diablo drop off, way too much washboard for me. Amazing views, really awesome place to offroad.

20220430_154431.jpg

Here's another fun route for those new to the area... Head out Hwy 78 to the Buttes Pass Rd turn off and head to the drop off, which is steeper then Diablo, but easy in 4L just pick your line and roll on down sometimes there are some big holes along the way... Be sure to make time to hike The Slot trail. I like to bypass The Slot trailhead on the way in, do the drop-off (down only) then hike up the slot past the trail head another quarter to half mile or so. Then return to vehicle and continue out Borrego Mtn Wash to San Felipe Wash, there's a fun little technical 4WD action heading out from the drop-off... And some good camping at Hawk Canyon. You'll likely experience some of the Ocotillo OHV folks if you opt to go down towards Blow Sand...

And, of course, if in the Ocotillo OHV area you owe it to yourself to stop in at the Iron Door bar on Split Mtn Rd for an ice cold beer. It looks like, and is, a long standing dive bar in the area replete with underwear and dollar bills stapled to the ceiling and reeking of smoke, usually with lots of dune buggies parked in front. But worth checking out... You probably passed it on your way out from Fish Creek yesterday.

1651428087644.png

Here's another fun route for those new to the area... Head out Hwy 78 to the Buttes Pass Rd turn off and head to the drop off, which is steeper then Diablo, but easy in 4L just pick your line and roll on down sometimes there are some big holes along the way... Be sure to make time to hike The Slot trail. I like to bypass The Slot trailhead on the way in, do the drop-off (down only) then hike up the slot past the trail head another quarter to half mile or so. Then return to vehicle and continue out Borrego Mtn Wash to San Felipe Wash, there's a fun little technical 4WD action heading out from the drop-off... And some good camping at Hawk Canyon. You'll likely experience some of the Ocotillo OHV folks if you opt to go down towards Blow Sand...

And, of course, if in the Ocotillo OHV area you owe it to yourself to stop in at the Iron Door bar on Split Mtn Rd for an ice cold beer. It looks like, and is, a long standing dive bar in the area replete with underwear and dollar bills stapled to the ceiling and reeking of smoke, usually with lots of dune buggies parked in front. But worth checking out... You probably passed it on your way out from Fish Creek yesterday.

View attachment 2996995
Awesome thanks! We might go next weekend!

Really awesome trip from San Diego round trip was 225 mi at 14 miles per gallon combined, very easy terrain, just one section was a little bit tricky because it was off camber and soft on the downhill side, got to watch a group of.... people... trying to climb Diablo drop off without lockers and dig some enormous holes. Would like to go back but avoid the north section past Diablo drop off, way too much washboard for me. Amazing views, really awesome place to offroad.

View attachment 2996962
See we told you that you would have fun!! Thanks for the after action report.

See we told you that you would have fun!! Thanks for the after action report.
The brain trust is never wrong

The brain trust is never wrong
Since you're new to the area and camping in the desert, beware of camping in anything called a 'wash'; at times storms in the mountains dozens of miles away can result in flash floods in the washes; mainly in the late fall, winter and spring. Canyons are generally pretty safe... generally.

There's good camping up at the top of Pinyon Mountain road as well, and there is a drop off there shortly after a very tight pass called "The Squeeze" that leads back down into the Fish Creek area. I seriously doubt you could get your LX though the squeeze though without body damage. Jeeps and FJ40s can barely get through. Nevertheless, there are some nice semi-secluded camping spots up there to be had and a relatively tame ride up. And some good hiking spots too.

Since you're new to the area and camping in the desert, beware of camping in anything called a 'wash'; at times storms in the mountains dozens of miles away can result in flash floods in the washes; mainly in the late fall, winter and spring. Canyons are generally pretty safe... generally.

There's good camping up at the top of Pinyon Mountain road as well, and there is a drop off there shortly after a very tight pass called "The Squeeze" that leads back down into the Fish Creek area. I seriously doubt you could get your LX though the squeeze though without body damage. Jeeps and FJ40s can barely get through. Nevertheless, there are some nice semi-secluded camping spots up there to be had and a relatively tame ride up. And some good hiking spots too.
I was curious of that, it looked like in the not too distant past there was alot of water moving though those small canyons, thanks for the tip.

I watched a video of the squeeze and I will definately not be trying that without spotters, I dont have good skids/sliders so I am very wary of going over larger rocks as well so that whole trail may be a bit too much. But if I can get in one way, camp at pinyon and turn around that would be a fun trip Im sure.

If you haven't been to a Beach-n-Toys meeting, we're meeting tomorrow night at a 'new to us' place in San Marcos at Cocina Del Charro in Restaurant Row. Most usually get there around 5-5:30 for a beer or two and eats before the meeting proper at around 6:30

If you haven't been to a Beach-n-Toys meeting, we're meeting tomorrow night at a 'new to us' place in San Marcos at Cocina Del Charro in Restaurant Row. Most usually get there around 5-5:30 for a beer or two and eats before the meeting proper at around 6:30
Was trying to go but dident have the time :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom