New tires/wheels and now a lift debate... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First upgrade to the rig!!!
Went with KO 2s on 17x8.5 -10 VTX wheels. The recommended size for stock setup was 265/70/17, however, experienced a lot of rubbing. I tried the heat gun technique but didn't improve a whole lot. (probably didn't do it right) Ended up just removing the stock side steps for now until my sliders come in.

I was hoping to be able to hit some light trails with the new tires on stock suspension. But seeing how limited I am with clearance around the tires, I might have to lift sooner than I planned.

I have been reading up on all the different lifts out there and was leaning towards Ironman FCP stage 2. A friend recommended Toytec's, and while they do have great reviews with tacoma's and tundra's..there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information on toytecs installed on gx's. So any feedback or experience with toytec aluma boss 2.5 would be really helpful.

Other than that, got sliders on order from jwoffroad. Really looking forward to hitting the trails.
Thanks for all the help!!!

20221222_131918.jpg

The rubbing is probably due to the negative offset wheels, which pushes the tire into the inner fender when turning (negative offset wheels look great on a GX, but zero or positive offset will reduce the rubbing potential). You might still get some rubbing at full lock, even post-lift, with the negative offset wheels. FYI, I've been running VTX wheels for almost 2 years now and have been very happy with them - good-quality wheels for the price.

Regarding suspension, I love my Foam Cell Pro kit. My GX is a DD that gets a lot of towing, gravel road, and off-road use and the FCP does well in all of those. I caught a bit of air on a gravel road this weekend and the GX maintained composure/stability very well upon landing (the DuroBump progressive bumpstops likely also helped). Relative to the Toytecs, they are a bigger shock body (2.8") and are rebuildable at home (which is why I got them as I plan on keeping my GX for a long time and put quite a few miles on it).

The rubbing is probably due to the negative offset wheels, which pushes the tire into the inner fender when turning (negative offset wheels look great on a GX, but zero or positive offset will reduce the rubbing potential). You might still get some rubbing at full lock, even post-lift, with the negative offset wheels. FYI, I've been running VTX wheels for almost 2 years now and have been very happy with them - good-quality wheels for the price.

Regarding suspension, I love my Foam Cell Pro kit. My GX is a DD that gets a lot of towing, gravel road, and off-road use and the FCP does well in all of those. I caught a bit of air on a gravel road this weekend and the GX maintained composure/stability very well upon landing (the DuroBump progressive bumpstops likely also helped). Relative to the Toytecs, they are a bigger shock body (2.8") and are rebuildable at home (which is why I got them as I plan on keeping my GX for a long time and put quite a few miles on it).

Thanks for the tip. The ironman fcp does seem like the better choice in terms of what you get for the money and has great reviews from owners.

As for your vtx wheels, do you run them with wheel spacers? And does running wheel spacers effect negatively in anyways?

My wheels are spacer-less. With the 265/70R17 tires, they stick out around 0.5" from the fenderwells. Pushing the wheel/tire out, either by negative offset wheels or spacers, will usually make fenderwell rubbing worse. This is because the radius that the wheel rotates on when steering gets larger, thereby pushing the tire more into the fender lining. I had no rubbing issues with the same tires on stock wheels (positive offset) but got a ton of rubbing as soon as I put the 0 offset VTX wheels on. I still get a small amount of rubbing with a 2" lift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom