New Tacoma Guy here! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rainman

Wondering what my next vehicle will be...
Threads
Well, new to me. Decades of owning Toyotas and 3 Land Cruisers. It's been about 15 years since my last one though. Tomorrow I'm picking up a 2012 Tacoma PreRunner V6 SR5 Access Cab LB with 100k miles even and very clean. Paying 15.5K for it plus TN tax.
IMG_0044.PNG
IMG_0047.PNG
IMG_0046.PNG
IMG_0041.PNG

Last edited:
What are your plans for this "new" rig Rainy?

Regards,

Alan

Well, let's see...

Today I yanked out the stupid rear seats and head rests...
Ordered a replacement for the inner fender well liners that are either pulled out some or missing...
A rear mud flap replacement for the one missing...
And a new cup holder for the one that's missing.

Other than those things, the truck is really in great shape. Interior is almost perfect. It already has a replaced radio with a Sony MEXN50000BT. Not overly impressed but when I get the BT feature to work it'll be nice.

As far as customizing goes, I know some guys who do vacu-forming and want to come up with a really slick rear deck/storage tray/dog area/hold those damn tools still/thing. I may start a new thread for that if we come up with something impressive. I haven't seen anything that has impressed me on line.

I wanted to get a hard tonneau cover but don't have the $1300 for that. You guys over here probably don't know about my other project. The '32 Ford 3 window coupe with a Baby Hemi in it. I won't get into that here.

Future plans are right now to keep it as clean and stock as I can. If I keep my trailer and find the truck needs more power I may upgrade some. To be determined...

I do have to say though, after 9 years in the Dodge, driving this Tacoma immediately felt like home. My 9th Toyota and 5th truck or 4Runner, I really loved driving a Toyota again. I couldn't believe how "at home" it felt. I just love it. I kind of doubt I'll customize it... Much.

And just so you'll know. The last Mini truck Toyota I had looked like this...

Before:
6th car 1982 Toyota Pickup.JPG

And after I went crazy...
right front.jpg

Congrats on your find :cheers: enjoy

Nice looking truck Rainman. I had a 2006 access cab prerunner from '11-'16. I bought a soft tonneau cover for it that I really liked. It was an Extang Trifecta Signature Series. While not as secure as a hard tonneau, it was less expensive, and kept the cargo area dry. It is fairly secure if you add a tailgate handle lock. I really liked the versatility. You could remove it by yourself in a few minutes, fold it back easily to access gear, and even drive around with it 2/3 of the way folded back. I would spring for the signature series, it uses convertible top like canvas material.

Auto anything has them for $450 with free shipping.
Extang Trifecta 2.0 Folding Tonneau Cover

Extang's site:
Trifecta 2.0 Signature Series | Reinvigorated, Premier Soft Tri-Folding Cover

I haven't been much of a fan for the soft fold up tops but that does look well thought out. Thanks @Zdeech for the link. I just may pull that trigger. Other things first...

I found out the hard way that installing the inner fender liner up front is a paint in the ass for a plastic part. Looks like it's almst the first part in the assembly. EVERYTHING is in the way. One down, one to go... Some other day.

Last edited:
Great truck!
These generation tacomas maybe little porky in sizes but still tough as nails!
I love the 4.0 liter on my 2010 truck.
Good luck with it.

I've gotten just a little over 20mpg on the first to tanks. Not too bad. Haven't had an interstate trip yet to check that out. I had to laugh when my wife drove it one day and said it was too peppy. Not used to the high ride anymore, she was going farther over the speed limit than she likes. Funny how the Dodge V8 didn't give her that problem.

I'm working on a dog platform in the half cab behind the seats. I need one more tweak on it. I'll post pictures when I've fixed it. So far I'm happyy with it.

Okay. Anyone unhappy with the back seats of the Access Cab Tacoma (Like me), here plan A I have for the back half of the cab. A platform for my 80lb dog to have a flat place large enough for him to lie down comfortably. He hates the front seat.

Step one is to remove all the back seat assembly crap. Not too hard.
Tacoma deck 1.JPG

That's Angus looking to see what I'm building for him...

Next, I've cut a piece of 1/8" Poly Ethylene and had to cut out 4 sections to clear the posts under the seat backs. Also marked and drilled two holes for the seatbelt anchor bolts to hold it in place.
(Note: The platform can't be longer than the distance from the front edge of the seat back to the top rear corner of the center console between the front seats.)
Tacoma deck 2.jpg

Here it is in place. It takes a little elbow grease and slight bending to convince it in.
Tacoma deck 3.jpg

Ran to Target and got a decent matching bath floor mat with a rubber (no-skid) bottom. Works well for the guy.
Tacoma deck 4.jpg

And here he is wondering why we aren't going anywhere... He is very attentive when I call his name. Can you tell?
Tacoma deck 5.jpg

There are temp supports under the front corners that are 6.5" tall. The one on the transmission hump is 4". Spare lumber is handy when there isn't anything else around for finishing quality. I'll work on that later.

Lemme know what you think.

Last edited:
Hi Rainy,

I have an Access Cab as well. I consider the back seats to be "temporary" seats that are safe for humans to ride in but not very comfortable.

I keep the back seats folded flat, and a wool blanket covering the left half for my 75 lb. Aussie/Collie mix while the right half has a large Rubbermaid box for gear and emergency supplies. The space underneath the folded seats has misc. items stuffed in.

It's not perfect, but it works okay.

Regards,

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom