New Sequoia Owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TheRealDeal124

GOLD Star
Threads
Last night I traded in my 2001 Toyota Rav4 5 Speed Manual for a 2003 Toyota Sequoia. It has 184,000 miles on her. Finished in Phantom Gray, it runs and drives very smooth. No real issues in the 2 days I've had it. There are a few things I'd like to get addressed.

Before I get started with that, I'm familiar with the 80 Series (I'm over there often as I own a 95 6M1 K294) but not so with an IFS modern rig like the Sequoia. Very solid, minor surface rust. I believe the skid plate underneath took the brunt of the rust.

If I'm being nitpicky on things I'd like to change. The interior drivers arm rest needs to be replaced. Drivers door has to be SLAMMED shut or it won't latch. There's a thunk that can be heard when going over uneven pavement and sometimes on turns. It's lifted more in the front than the back somehow. Not sure if it's a spring upgrade or perhaps pucks of some kind? Im unaware if it's had its 100k mile Timing Belt and Water Pump change yet. I'll provide pictures. My first ever V8 and the newest Toyota I've owned.

20211228_203117.jpg

20211227_170516.jpg

Is the arm rest loose? If so remove it and check, it may just need the proper torque to fix it (happened to both of mine).

If you don’t know of the vehicles maintenance 100% have the timing belt, components and water pump replaced along with the upper and lower ball joints. This is a big safety/maintenance item on this trucks and the popping noise may well be one of the ball joints. If it fails expect a very very bad day.

The front is definitely lifted. May just be a spacer lift, but it is lifted.

Lastly the door issue. See if the door handle stays out when you’re closing the doors. The handles can be prone to sticking open and not letting the door latch catch. May need a new spring, handle, or some maintenance to get it back to working order.

Is the arm rest loose? If so remove it and check, it may just need the proper torque to fix it (happened to both of mine).

If you don’t know of the vehicles maintenance 100% have the timing belt, components and water pump replaced along with the upper and lower ball joints. This is a big safety/maintenance item on this trucks and the popping noise may well be one of the ball joints. If it fails expect a very very bad day.

The front is definitely lifted. May just be a spacer lift, but it is lifted.

Lastly the door issue. See if the door handle stays out when you’re closing the doors. The handles can be prone to sticking open and not letting the door latch catch. May need a new spring, handle, or some maintenance to get it back to working order.
Nope the front arm rest just needs some love. Leather on the end is worn out. Not at the top of my list as far as needing attention.

I use McGeorge Toyota for 80 Series parts, is there a notable parts supplier for Tundra/Sequoia? That website for McGeorge is easy to use.

I'm going to return the truck back to factory height, this is going to be a DD.

As far as the doors go, a few of the handles stick, but they return after a moment or two. There's a metallic rattle coming from the drivers side door when I'm driving down the road.

This look right? Seems they have different names but all similarly priced as far as the Ball Joints go.

Screenshot_20211229-130114_Chrome.jpg

Likely. Just make sure you go with OEM ball joints and replace the lower retaining bolts as well. I’ve seen old joints/new aftermarket and reused bolts fail.
OEM Toyota parts and OCD run deep ever since I got my Land Cruiser, so I will feed this gigantic thing the same. The parts should get here either Friday or Saturday. Sucks I bought this in between holidays. I'll take more pictures and everything Friday when I'm off. I'm going to baby it until then. I don't want these failing on me. I will do the timing belt in the spring when my 80 is out of storage. I don't drive much. 5-6,000 miles a year out of my DDs in the past.

Here's the first half, just exterior. Love the color. A nice contrast between that and my Dark Emerald 80.

20211231_120951.jpg

20211231_121001.jpg

20211231_121051.jpg

Interior. Not as bad as one would expect. Two owners. This is a DD/work truck. So the approach will be much different than my 80 was. Might keep the leather as is. Not sure if there are any replacement kits out there. I want to get the OEM radio instead of the Kenwood I have. Also have to replace the antenna. Love a 4x4 lever.

20211231_121128.jpg

20211231_121141.jpg

20211231_121321.jpg

20211231_121318.jpg

20211231_121337.jpg

The underbelly. Started life in Georgia and the Carolinas before moving to the rust belt. It's not perfect, but for the price I paid, I'd say I did great. Especially in this market. I will spray the underside with Fluid Film. Oh is that the Fuel Tank Skid that's basically rusted out?

20211231_121106.jpg

20211231_121043.jpg

20211231_121010.jpg

20211231_121023.jpg

This is the radio. It switches from HD and SD often, likely because of the radio antenna being broken off. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm about to fill her up for the first time. Imagine that.

20211231_121309.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom