New power steering pump?

So I took Jose (my 1996 FZJ80) out for a drive over some rough roads this weekend. I lost power steering on the way home. When I stopped there was fluid everywhere and it was hitting the ground at an alarming rate.
I cleaned it up and did not see any obvious broken or disconnected hoses. Should I just swallow the pill that I'll be replacing the pump? Are there an other diagnosis I should look at before doing the pump replacement?
Thanx for any advice.

LandLocked93

SILVER Star
Sounds like the pump blew its plug.
Been there, done that.
You have two options:
1) Get the emergency plug from Wits' End - 80 Series 1FZ "Emergency" Power Steering Plug - https://absolute-wits-end.com/80-series-1fz-emergency-power-steering-plug/
Don't let the 'emergency' part fool you. It is a temp fix but I ran it for 18mos w/o issue before replacing the pump.

2) Replace the pump (OEM of course). Choose otherwise at your own risk.
I love it when a temporary fix becomes permanent. . .or semi-permanent. I remember an editorial in one of the car mags I read religiously years ago and that was the title. . . 😝

And Op, this is an issue I dealt with last year and drove 400 miles sans PS after it blew. I’ve got a small freeze/oil galley plug(1/2” IIRC) and an oak dowel that I keep in the glove box now just in case. If you go the rebuilt PS pump route(which mine was), then you’ll likely have the issue again as I read here that they ‘hot tank’ the old pump housing before “rebuilding” and it’ll weaken that o-ring on the plug . . .so, go factory new if it’s an option. Redoing it yourself isn’t hard and the kit is cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom