New Owner in DE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RWBeringer4x4

Mechanically Challenged
SILVER Star
Threads
Hey all,

I'm not QUITE in PA (but I can throw a rock from my back yard and hit it). That said, I just became the proud (and totally overwhelmed) owner of a 1975 FJ40. I will undoubtedly be coming to you all with questions, raidng your spare parts bins, and HOPEFULLY cruising with you if you're local!

The truck:
1975 Toyota FJ40 LandCruiser
1972? Chevy Targetmaster 350 V8 installed in 1998
Rochester Quadrajet 4-barrel carb
Saginaw Power Steering
Aux Fuel Tank (not hooked up)

I posted some pictures here:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/605551-getting-through-delaware-inspection.html

Interestingly - the truck has stickers that indicate that the original V8 conversion was performed by Go-TEN manufacturing in California when it was essentially brand new. Sort of like what Con Ferr used to do. If anyone has any additional information on Go-TEN, I would love to hear it!

I've spent the last week making the necessary repairs to get it through Delaware inspection:

1. Rewired the horn, new horn relay
2. Rewired lisence plate lights
3. "Reinstalled" (very bent) bumper (4 bolts, 4 zip ties:p)
4. Repaired windshield chips w/ resin
5. Disconnected malfunctioning choke cable (truck was stuck @ half choke)
6. Got the idle down from around 1500RPM to 800RPM
7. Rerouted starter cable since it was melting to the engine

Still to come:
1. New battery cable
2. Fix intermittent bad ground in driver side turn signal
3. Re-mount accelerator cable to firewall (currently loose and rubbing)
4. Fresh Fluids
5. Check the brakes (they currently lock up on command and stop fairly straight, slight pull to the left)
6. Deal with dry-rotted fuel lines

After that, it SHOULD be fairly road worthy. This FJ was in California until 2006 when it was shipped by the PO to Annapolis, MD and stored in a barn. NO rust holes in the body/floor/fenders/etc. Factory undercoating still intact in most places. Original paint, I think. Surface rust everywhere. Hard top appears to have been stored outside, holes in the rear corners.

No major engine leaks, aside from a small Power steering fluid leak @ the box. Odometer 78k miles, but who knows if they are original. Interior is about shot - has the bench seat from a van in place of the front buckets, which is shredded. Rear jump seats are actually in pretty good shape - some tears but the foam seems solid.

Long story short - I'm looking forward to getting started! I welcome any and all advice/words of wisdom from you folks!

Awesome! You may regret the offer :). The more I go over it the more things I find to fix!

I am in Kennett Square...on any given Friday u may see a cruiser of some sort parked out in front of Taqueria Moroleon...dat be me.

Ha wow, right up the street! Literally 10 minutes from me. Unfortunately I doubt my 40 would make it that far in its current state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom