New Owner for 2001 & 2003 Sequoia--His and Hers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, I am a very happy and new owner of a 2001 Sequoia 4wd with 202k miles. So far, I have done timing belt (Toyota did it yesterday), lower ball joints, and all new front brakes with pads/rotors. The Cats were stolen off of this vehicle, so I am getting those done today or tomorrow. General question...is it Delphi or Densoi I always want to use for parts? I am finding O2 sensors by both companies, same price range. I am also looking to get 2 Magnaflow CATs welded in today. Any issue with those or do I really need to drop the major coin for OEM? Thanks. I'll put u pa few photos in a bit.

Deleted running boards and did a lighting project after the brake job and sway bar links that I found broken in half LOL. I am wondering where this vehicle has been all my life.
PXL_20221129_234033785.jpg
PXL_20221129_001008260.jpg
PXL_20221129_001012793.jpg

Clean rig. Welcome to the tree family. Denson and Koyo are the parts to get. They’re OE suppliers. Can’t answer on the cats but I’m going to need a set soon I’m at 260k. Would like to see a review and parts #.

One upgrade I do recommend is a set of headers they’re pricey but sure worth it. Especially if they are rusted or cracked. Mine were cracked so I got JBA headers. Definitely helped at lower rpm torque gave it a lil pepp lolz.

Clean rig. Welcome to the tree family. Denson and Koyo are the parts to get. They’re OE suppliers. Can’t answer on the cats but I’m going to need a set soon I’m at 260k. Would like to see a review and parts #.

One upgrade I do recommend is a set of headers they’re pricey but sure worth it. Especially if they are rusted or cracked. Mine were cracked so I got JBA headers. Definitely helped at lower rpm torque gave it a lil pepp lolz.
Supposedly Magnaflows produce the best result, so we will see. I have them getting installed tomorrow. I'll definitely report back.

I got the Cats installed. All is good. The codes are gone for that mess and the smell is clean.

Here is the issue that remains. The front O2 sensors throwing a P0135 and P0155....anyone have an issue changing those out? The guy that did the cats was afraid he would strip them or break them. They gotta come out either way. Thanks.

I got the Cats installed. All is good. The codes are gone for that mess and the smell is clean.

Here is the issue that remains. The front O2 sensors throwing a P0135 and P0155....anyone have an issue changing those out? The guy that did the cats was afraid he would strip them or break them. They gotta come out either way. Thanks.
That’s good news on the cats. Did you also put an aftermarket exhaust? On the O2 I would just soak them in PB blaster penetrating oil for a week or so. Spray them everyday the week of.

That’s good news on the cats. Did you also put an aftermarket exhaust? On the O2 I would just soak them in PB blaster penetrating oil for a week or so. Spray them everyday the week of.
I am going to start doing that tonight. I also just found out that our new county does not do emissions, so the CEL does not matter. I'll prolly let it go for a bit while I address the struts and rear brakes and just drive it for a minute. I feel like I have only worked on it since I had it LOL. Appreciate the feedback.

I am going to start doing that tonight. I also just found out that our new county does not do emissions, so the CEL does not matter. I'll prolly let it go for a bit while I address the struts and rear brakes and just drive it for a minute. I feel like I have only worked on it since I had it LOL. Appreciate the feedback.
If the CEL is on due to O2 sensors I would get them replaced ASAP. You could be running too lean or too rich. Running lean can cause damage to pistons running rich is not really a problem other than poor mpg. Your truck would run much better with no CEL. If another sensor or codes comes up it'll be hard to know because the CEL is lite. Haha the joys of owning a older Toyota. They are a joy to drive, but it comes as a prices due to their age. Much cheaper than a vehicle now a days plus the experience of fixing it your self is priceless.

Nice rig! They sure do drive nicely, and perform great offroad with a few suspension tweaks. My ‘03 is one of my favorite vehicles of all time, and I’ve had a LOT of vehicles. Mostly Toyotas 4x4s too, so that’s saying something.

Nice rig! They sure do drive nicely, and perform great offroad with a few suspension tweaks. My ‘03 is one of my favorite vehicles of all time, and I’ve had a LOT of vehicles. Mostly Toyotas 4x4s too, so that’s saying something.
Appreciate the input. Yeah, I see from your signature that you have quite a bit of experience with them. Mine has needed quite a bit of TLC as I dig, so I am learning quickly! I put on 2.5 "leveling" struts yesterday. The install was fairly straightforward, but now I need rear springs LOL! They are tired to the point that I have the Cali lean going on. I can't stand that look, so today I will order 1.75" for the rears and call it good. I wanted to lift it a little anyways I guess.

My list so far since I brought it home 2 weeks ago:

Timing Belt Kit
Water Pump
Front Brakes Complete
2.5" Leveling Struts (needed struts BAD anyway as there were no bottom bushings left)
Cats
2 O2 Sensors (others stuck for now)
Rear Hatch Fix
Changed All fluids
Newer Rims/Tires
All LED upgrade to interior
Back Seat Replacement

To Do:

1.75" Rear Springs from 1stGenOffroad
Bluetooth Radio Install
Kenwood Speaker Install
Both Front Door Exterior handle install
Fog Light Install
LED POD Light Install....hood or ?????

I think that's everything so far. Considering some sort of bumper, but not sure I want the extra weight. Gotta think on it still.

Last edited:
I bought my first Toyota 4x4 pickup in 1986. It was an ‘81 model with 31” BFG ATs. There was no interwebs to order parts from, so you called a shop you found in the back of a magazine. I ordered my first parts (KC Daylighters with smiley face covers and a Dick Cepek tailgate net) that way from Desert Rat in Arizona. That was a big deal for a 16 year old kid from BC!

Looks like you have it in hand, and wrenching on your own truck is the best way to get to know it. What did you have to fix on your rear hatch? My handle just broke on mine, so I guess I need to dig in to that now. There are always issues with any 20 year old vehicle, but at least these ones are worth the time and money to keep on the road!

Make sure you post more photos when you get the new leaf packs in. My rears are a bit too tall, so I think your 1.75“ will be great. You can see I have a bit of rake.
B882842C-1B49-42CA-8493-CCAB98122CA7.jpeg

951D79DF-318A-4EE1-9ECB-B882E9B407B1.png

Last edited:
Oh, and check out Coastal Offroad for bumper ideas. They have diy kits so you can weld them yourself. Pretty good looking bumpers.

Last edited:
Oh, and check out Coastal Offroad for bumper ideas. They have diy kits so you can weld them yourself. Pretty good looking bumpers.

Appreciate the good words. Your rig looks sharp! I wouldn't mind that rake. I got on the phone with Josh at 1stgenoffroad. He had me take some measurements and we decided on 2.5" linear springs and new Bilstein shocks. They'll be here tomorrow.

My latch had to be replaced in the rear. Man, what a JOB that was because mine was jacked internally, so I had to really fight with it to even get it open. I also replaced the latch handle with an all metal one off of Amazon. So far, so good! One bad cut on my hand to the bone, 3 hours, and walla! She's fixed LOL

I am taking the springs to my local offroad shop to install. In full transparency, I don't wanna mess with springs. I don't need some stupid something to happen and hurt my hand again. I trust them and know them, so I am ok with them doing it. I'll def post up photos when I get it back Thursday afternoon.

I'll check out those bumpers. Might be an option if I decide to put one on.

Oh! I am also looking at a couple of Lexus GX 470s for my wife. Any input on those? Trouble areas? I am doing my diligence here to get educated. So far, seems airbags are an issue and the typical timing belt stuff.

Hooooo Boy....check this chitshow out...

PXL_20221206_143550533.jpg

So the story gets better. I heard a rattling sound every time I'd go over bumps and I thought it was the parking brake. I pull the rotor off this morning and that ground down pad was left on the rotor and new pads were put on top of it and it's been grinding down the rotor to the point of almost coming off the axle!

Needless to say, doing all rear brakes this morning, so all brakes are now new....and no more rattle LOL. E-brake was in good condition.
PXL_20221206_143556330.jpg

Yikes! Some scary stuff done by “mechanics“.

Do you have a link to the all metal door handle for the hatch? (I found one by “Faersi“). My latch worked great, but the handle snapped. Great video on replacement below for those that are curious…

Last edited:
Yikes! Some scary stuff done by “mechanics“.

Do you have a link to the all metal door handle for the hatch? (I found one by “Faersi“). My latch worked great, but the handle snapped. Hatch is closed, so I guess I’ll have to figure out how to open it from the inside, if that is possible unless you can get to the handle in the exterior center piece? I haven’t had time to look at it yet.
Man, that sucks! Yeah you'll have to take off the inside panel and get to the cable. And it's the only way you can remove the latch. I got the latch off Amazon.

Man, that sucks! Yeah you'll have to take off the inside panel and get to the cable. And it's the only way you can remove the latch. I got the latch off Amazon.

I was watching the above video while you replied;)

Actually seems like a very easy fix, which is great. There are a bunch of common little issues like this that are annoying, but cheap and easy to fix. Like my dash lights were all out. Previous owner of mine did stupid amounts of work on this truck ($15,000 worth and I have all the receipts), but he didn’t do the simple little things. People are strange…

I was watching the above video while you replied;)

Actually seems like a very easy fix, which is great. There are a bunch of common little issues like this that are annoying, but cheap and easy to fix. Like my dash lights were all out. Previous owner of mine did stupid amounts of work on this truck ($15,000 worth and I have all the receipts), but he didn’t do the simple little things. People are strange…
Man you are 100% correct.....and why that kind of stuff doesn't bother people is beyond me. One of the first things I do is address all the interior lighting because it just bugs me to death. LOL

Just some random stuff form yesterday. Rear brakes all new except calipers. The seemed to be ok. Put in newer front seats. The ones I took out had a little foam left, but not much.

PXL_20221206_160930345.jpg
PXL_20221206_173015824.jpg

Also vacuumed and did some spot cleaning. I want to do a carpet removal but that will be later when I have a full sunny day for drying after power washing. Man humans can be vile. I found old dip, chewed fingernails, and old food. Just ridiculous. All clean now and spot cleaned the really crusty spots. I guess it was old coffee or coke or gravy for all I know. *Vomit

So here’s the big question… Tires? The wheels are ok (sort of), but given all the rest you’re doing, you must have ideas on new rubber?

And off topic, but I see your a PSD guy too. I’ve had a few, but all OBS versions. ‘96 & ‘97s. I no longer have a diesel truck, and with the cost of fuel these days, I’m happy with my gaspots.
0A0863A5-211F-4AA1-BDD6-354B9C0AC009.jpeg
A7442EEF-8A58-48EE-A4D5-A96DD4749FD2.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom