New Member - New to Me 08 GX - All Advice Welcome (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just brought home a pearl white 08 GX with 120K miles on it. I had the dealer perform a timing belt, tensioner, water pump, and seal replacement before taking it home. The maintenance up to 80K is all fantastic and then it drops off the Carfax. Hoping the other owner took care of it.

The dealer put on brand new 265/65R17 Firestone Destination LEs on it and I'm considering selling them. I found a Kelly Edge 265/70/17 AT underneath in the spare section with what looks like a stock Lexus wheel. What's the best bang for the buck for ATs?

My initial plans are to matte black plastidip all of the chrome and the wheels and to trim the running boards and re rig the lights to point down underneath the truck.

The next thing I would like to do is get a 2-3" lift with the biggest tire that doesn't rub. I am fine with trimming if needed. The majority of this car will be used on road and on the weekends will be going to places like Bowman Lake in Tahoe so we do need clearance but I don't think we need anything too crazy. Any advice on who to go with and what would be the best bang for the buck?

Besides those what other mods little or big would you recommend? Again, mostly this will be on road but I do want it capable of off roading. I'm not interested in making this an overlanding expo rig (although I love those builds) but something that looks less like a Starbucks Hauler and more like a 4runner with the capabilities of hanging with TRDs and Jeeps.

Also what recommendations do yall have for type of oil? I'm not sure if the previous owners were using conventional or synthetic. Does it matter if I run synthetic if the previous owners had not been? Any other recs for maintenance items?

Please bless me with your knowledge haha!

IMG_20200807_202000.jpg

-Iron Man “Nitro Gas” 2.5” lift
-BF Goodrich KO2 tire, in 255-75/17 size (load range “C”)
-Mobil-1 full synthetic 5-30

You’ll be good on road, off road, and for many years to come.

-Iron Man “Nitro Gas” 2.5” lift
-BF Goodrich KO2 tire, in 255-75/17 size (load range “C”)
-Mobil-1 full synthetic 5-30

You’ll be good on road, off road, and for many years to come.
Thank you for the input! For Ironman do you think stage 1 is fine or should I jump up to stage 2 or 3 for the extra components?

If you have the coin, go for the UCAs.
They are high quality and really help with dialing in alignment. 2.5-3” is right at the threshold of needing them.

Best bang-for-buck ATs are Kumhos.

Use whatever 5w30 makes you happy.

Plastidip on a scorching hot chrome wheel will peel.

Just being nosy...but what did the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, and seal replacement run you?

Welcome! Clean looking truck!!!

IMG_20200810_103717.jpg

So far did the running boards delete and blacked out the chrome and grill. Going to dip the wheels black as well. Trying to decide between matte or gloss finish though.

And tips on the running boards delete of what to do with the little trim that hangs down for the plastic push rivets? And also should I fill the holes back up with the bolts and possible flex seal? I heard if not it can let water inside the cabin.

View attachment 2399452

So far did the running boards delete and blacked out the chrome and grill. Going to dip the wheels black as well. Trying to decide between matte or gloss finish though.

And tips on the running boards delete of what to do with the little trim that hangs down for the plastic push rivets? And also should I fill the holes back up with the bolts and possible flex seal? I heard if not it can let water inside the cabin.
I also ordered black door handles and probably just going to wait to mess with the roof rack until it's fully replaced with a black cargo roof rack. Any recommendations for best looking/budget?

you can trim the running boards so they pop right back into those two brackets just behind the front wheels.

i went really really high up on my trimming because i have some super tight sliders coming my way in a couple of weeks..but some people choose to trim a little lower than what i did. the door trim is also attached...so keep all those little plastic clips. a cheap 17 dollar amazon dremel kit will get you taken care of on the running board trim.

TRIM.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom