New Here! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I'm new to iH8mud.

I'm sure that some of you know me, as I've looked through the pics and I recognize a few of the trucks.

My name is Johnathan and I'm with Tandem Offroad. If you guys need another resource for the second-gen sequoia please feel free to reach out to me here. Alternatively, you can call or text the number in my signature.

I look forward to seeing what goes on here on ih8mud

Thanks,

Johnathan

20210815_180123.jpg

20210816_134648.jpg

20210817_103200.jpg

FB_IMG_1640413584940.jpg

FB_IMG_1637284645695.jpg

Is that a Platinum? If so, what have you done with the suspension/air bags? I have a Platinum myself and I never really have to off road it hard but I do spend quite a bit of time on gravel roads.

Is that a Platinum? If so, what have you done with the suspension/air bags? I have a Platinum myself and I never really have to off road it hard but I do spend quite a bit of time on gravel roads.

Yes, it is a platinum. I removed the airbags and swapped the rear lower control arms out with an SR5. This converts the rear from the airspring perch to the coil spring perch. You also need to get the rear spring isolator from the SR5. This is the coil spring conversion.

I do plan on reinstalling my airbags and making an adapter to lift the system with the stock bag. I really miss the advantages of the bag as I'm often heavily weighed down.

You can manipulate the ride height sensor on the rear arms to give you some lift though.

Last edited:
Keep the bags. No reason to lose a great option especially if you aren't off roading.

On the second gen the airbags are amazing. I think it would be worth doing a little R&D so we could keep the airbags with a lift.

On the second gen the airbags are amazing. I think it would be worth doing a little R&D so we could keep the airbags with a lift.
It's actually pretty easy, on the second gen there's a sensor on each side oh, just need to put a spacer on it. First gen only has one. Should be able to support an extra 3 in pretty easy

It's actually pretty easy, on the second gen there's a sensor on each side oh, just need to put a spacer on it. First gen only has one. Should be able to support an extra 3 in pretty easy

If you simply adjust the ride height sensor, you're running around with the bags at higher pressures and effectively you've changed the "spring rate" of the bag. What Alex and I want to do is mess around with a lift for the stock bag so the system maintains its originally designed amount of adjustment. This will yield a more compliant ride when not loaded and not stress the bags higher than normal when they are loaded.

There is nothing to say that the bags cannot handle more pressure, as many folks tow with high tongue weights and that absolutely causes the airbags to maintain a higher pressure. I believe that if the bags are tricked into a lift then you will loose bump travel as the bag will not be able to "give" any.

If the OEM pressures are maintained but the bag is moved down, you will get better results and a more compliant ride, but still achieve the lift.

If you simply adjust the ride height sensor, you're running around with the bags at higher pressures and effectively you've changed the "spring rate" of the bag. What Alex and I want to do is mess around with a lift for the stock bag so the system maintains its originally designed amount of adjustment. This will yield a more compliant ride when not loaded and not stress the bags higher than normal when they are loaded.

There is nothing to say that the bags cannot handle more pressure, as many folks tow with high tongue weights and that absolutely causes the airbags to maintain a higher pressure. I believe that if the bags are tricked into a lift then you will loose bump travel as the bag will not be able to "give" any.

If the OEM pressures are maintained but the bag is moved down, you will get better results and a more compliant ride, but still achieve the lift.
kinda, not really though. These are rolling lobe air springs with a pretty significant lobe (at least on the first gens, have not messed with the second gens), the spring rate does change, but not significantly until you get past the point of the inner "cone" or lobe, as you put more air in the "bag" it just rises up on the cone, the top of the bag then has more volume because it is above the cone so the pressure stays the same. As you release air, the bag drops back onto the cone, which maintains pressure on the bag at the same rate as before but with less height. Your statement is true once you inflate the bag above the cone entirely and it effectively becomes a balloon and then starts to build higher pressures and will bounce all over the road. At that point you have increased your ride height around 6" which is a little much for me anyway. If you only go 2-3 inches, you are still running with plenty of cone and at "normal" ride height pressures. This is all "unloaded." If you were to put a load on the vehicle, yes, it would take a little more pressure to maintain the same height, but that is what it is designed for. That is why Toyota uses a "height sensor" and not a pressure sensor. Here's a video that hits on it a bit.

I think if you wanted to go your route, just a small puck spacer at the base of the bag would work fine as long as the bag can lock into it with a dimple.

welcome to the forum Jlo!! I've been following your work on YouTube for a few months now. Was searching for offroading Sequoias and you guys definitely fit that bill!! love all the Toys in your fleet. Your rig helped inspire me to pull the trigger on a black 19 Platinum that i picked up a couple weeks ago. seeing your rig go over the rock obstacle course was really impressive!!

welcome to the forum Jlo!! I've been following your work on YouTube for a few months now. Was searching for offroading Sequoias and you guys definitely fit that bill!! love all the Toys in your fleet. Your rig helped inspire me to pull the trigger on a black 19 Platinum that i picked up a couple weeks ago. seeing your rig go over the rock obstacle course was really impressive!!
Thanks! Sorry for the ridiculously late reply, I didn't catch the email.

Post up some pictures of your sequoia, I love seeing folks builds!

Congrats on the 19 platinum! What color interior? Have you seen the rear bumper on mine now?

Rigs like that are why I tell people I have the 'third most badass sequoia'. Though It is probably much farther back than that.

What awning is that? I cant get a good look. It looks short but fat. Is it a batwing style?
So you have any details (dimensions) on your rear bumper cut? If no one starts making a swing arm bumper soon I will cut mine.

Swing out rear bumper you say?

It is a 180 awning from 23 Zero. I really like the Alucab 270 but didn't want to limit my lift gates up travel, which it would have done.
20220427_171136.jpg

image (1).jpeg

image.jpeg

Swing out rear bumper you say?

It is a 180 awning from 23 Zero. I really like the Alucab 270 but didn't want to limit my lift gates up travel, which it would have done.
You can’t post that and not give details!!,! When can I get one! How much? Take my money!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom