New here (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
Hey! A little odd to find a Mitsubishi sub-forum on a Toyota board but it's nice to have a niche. I'm Les, mechanical engineer by background. I am slowly refurbishing and mostly operating a 1988 J23GN Type 73 Light Truck, ex-JGSDF, out here in the Philippines. I was looking into FJ40s but not that many around, and the ones that are are either $$ and a total mess, or $$$$ and pretty on the outside. After a bit of research I started to find these made under license CJ3B descendants more interesting, and they're certainly less trendy and thus less money. Not too much info about these old Mitsubishi units around, even in Japanese, but I am trying to curate some, collecting manuals and deciphering old catalogs. This one was built for the Japan Ground Self-Defense Force in 1988 and served in an anti-tank brigade until I think 2014, when it would have been auctioned as surplus. It used to carry a Type 87 anti-tank guided missile launcher, but sadly that didn't make it into my hands. Upon arrival here it was converted to LHD, since it's illegal to operate a RHD vehicle here, given a new coat of paint, and the rear seats from the general-purpose A model.

IMG_7330.JPG

IMG_7335.JPG

IMG_7385.JPG

Thanks man. These things were iconic in post-war Japan and still had a cult following there until the end of service around 2012. A ton were sold in Sri Lanka, and some made it to Thailand, both being RHD countries. But, there's very little info on them in English. If you're curious, I threw up (literally) a little info about this model here:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom