New head unit, stock amp problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I installed a new head unit today, the Alpine CDE-126BT, along with Alpine's KTP-445 power pack, which is a small amp for the four speakers in the doors. My problem is that when I unhook the stock amp from behind the dash, I lose all power. Has anybody had this problem? I'm currently thinking that to bypass the stock amp, I'm going to have to strip and solder each wire individually.

As a result of this, the stereo at a volume level of 3 is WAY too loud, 2 is bearable and 1 is reasonable but tough to talk over. Sounds great though!

Also, I don't think that any of the plugs/harnesses fit into anything other than what they were meant for, so if I should switch the plugs somewhere, please let me know!

i had this same problem with my range rover. It had separate amps for each speaker and when i installed a new head unit the impedance was incorrect so i had to build a rectifier circuit with a few resistors in order to make it work properly. It was very simple to do, you just need to find out all the specs of the door amps to see what you need to do.

What you need to do is bypass the stock amp
There are no other seperate amps
When I wired my head unit in I had to splice in the new connector and then I just unplugged the stock amp and all was good IIRC

Didn't you have to add an harness adaptor to use the aftermarket head unit?
I think you wired something wrong.
I did not soldier the wires I just used small covered spade plugs, it was much easier than soldiering the wires

Yep, you gota bypass the stock amp. Just had mine done

Yep, you gota bypass the stock amp. Just had mine done

Was it as simple as running the wires around it? Thanks for all the help, I'll start working on it today and update when I'm finished.

behind the stock radio there should be a second plug/s which fit the aftermarket adapter, and this plug/s do not use the factory amp.

i had to bypass the plug/s power wire [too small 22 guage] for my older alpine , ended up using that small wire to power a relay that had a ten[10] guage wire straight from the battery, and spliced the relay output to the harness so the alpine could have all the current it needed.

doug

Last edited:
On mine there are 3 wiring harnesses behind the head unit. The one that the stock unamplified head unit plugs into, that runs the input through the amplifier, and a set of two that bypass it.

I'm pretty sure its stock since it's also in my wiring diagram manual.

Was this removed on later years?

Was it as simple as running the wires around it? Thanks for all the help, I'll start working on it today and update when I'm finished.

Yepper, my Alpine now sounds 100% better than the stock unit. Head unit only cuz I am simple that way :hillbilly:

I recently installed an FJammer from an FJ Cruiser in my LC. The FJammer got real hot, real fast and sounded crappy. :crybaby: I removed both plugs from the amp in the LC and all is well. :bounce:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom