New GX470 for me (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mag

Threads
I recently purchased my first GX470. It is a silver 2007 with 214,000 miles and was a Wisconsin vehicle it's entire life. I spent over half an hour under the vehicle with a hammer testing the frame for structural integrity. The frame is solid. I later found the sheet metal pan behind the front tires was compromised. I put a hammer right through this area. I have a body shop lined up to replace the sheet metal. The sheet metal "boxed in" area above those pans are perfect condition. Does the sunroof drain to this area? I have seen other midwest GX470's in Youtube posts that have the same corrosion there. I have cleaned all the loose surface rust off the frame and sprayed Fluid Film inside the frame rails and all cavities and surface areas. I have a Rolair compressor and bought the Fluid Film spray gun with the 360 degree and straight attachments. I buy Fluid Film in 5 gallon containers. That 360 degree attachment sure works great inside the frame rails and other cavities. I have had great success using Fluid Film on my 2003 Silverado frame which had rusted. I have saved that frame using this technique.
I replace the spark plugs, coil pack boots, cleaned the throttle body and the MAF sensor. This is the smoothest running engine I have ever had!
I changed the front and rear differential fluids, transfer case fluid, and brake fluid. I will change the transmission fluid, drop the pan and change the screen soon. I will also change the transmission cooler metal lines at that time since they badly corroded.
The seller told me it needed a new rack and pinion unit. I studied the source of the power steering fluid leak and discovered it was just a cracked return line hose. I replaced that and the steering works great, with no leaks.
I bought an Eibach stage 1 kit for it and that will be installed in October. When I was under the vehicle (the beginning of many visits under it) I found the air system sensors. I did not know what they were at first. The one I found had the bracket rusted and broke off. Those flimsy little sensors should not be put on vehicles sold in the Midwest. Deleting the air and electronic suspension systems will be a plus.
I have the carpeting completely cleaned, as well as the leather seats. I buffed the vehicle out. Lexus sure puts an amazing finish on these vehicles. I need anew front bumper cover. I will be looking out for one on this forum. The drivers seat leather will be repaired/replaced in a few days.
That's about it for now. I am very happy to have discovered your forum. I look forward to future conversations.

hello

New guy here. Did you install the Eibach Stage 1? How do you like it? Would you choose that option again?
Yes I had it installed about three weeks ago. It is a firm ride but handles very good. I left the front struts at the lowest setting for a 2" lift. I had new upper and lower control arms installed with SPC camber/caster bolts. The alignment shop was able to get 2.2 and 3.1 degrees of forward caster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom