New guy with ‘81 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys. I just wanted to post up an introduction. My wife and I just bought this 1981 FJ60 over the weekend. I’m looking to learning more about it from the group.

E98E4EC1-238A-4480-971E-0A1B47B6D3E0.jpeg

Hey guys. I just wanted to post up an introduction. My wife and I just bought this 1981 FJ60 over the weekend. I’m looking to learning more about it from the group.

View attachment 3149188
Very nice looking 60. What's the backstory here? There's always a backstory.

Very nice looking 60. What's the backstory here? There's always a backstory.
Not really much of a story. We bought it mainly for my wife. She really likes angular, boxy older style SUVs (such as the older full size Jeep Wagoneer and older Land Rover Range Rover), but because she lived in Japan from the age of 7 to 18, she has a soft spot for Japanese manufacturers. When I saw this one for sale and the color, I knew she would like it. When I showed her the picture, her eyes lit up, and she asked, "can we buy it?" Since I've always been a fan of Land Cruisers, I definitely wasn't opposed. We made the 2.5 hour drive to check it out and came home with it that afternoon.

Not really much of a story. We bought it mainly for my wife. She really likes angular, boxy older style SUVs (such as the older full size Jeep Wagoneer and older Land Rover Range Rover), but because she lived in Japan from the age of 7 to 18, she has a soft spot for Japanese manufacturers. When I saw this one for sale and the color, I knew she would like it. When I showed her the picture, her eyes lit up, and she asked, "can we buy it?" Since I've always been a fan of Land Cruisers, I definitely wasn't opposed. We made the 2.5 hour drive to check it out and came home with it that afternoon.
That's a fine backstory!

Is that going to be your wife's dd? What sort of plans do you have for it? Wheeling/camping, etc.?

That's a fine backstory!

Is that going to be your wife's dd? What sort of plans do you have for it? Wheeling/camping, etc.?
The plan is to hopefully turn it into an around town daily driver for her. I would eventually like to swap it to a more modern drivetrain with a 5.3 LS truck motor and a 4L60 automatic transmission.

The plan is to hopefully turn it into an around town daily driver for her. I would eventually like to swap it to a more modern drivetrain with a 5.3 LS truck motor and a 4L60 automatic transmission.
She will get better gas mileage with that set-up. But then again, if gas mileage was a concern, you would never have bought a 60. My 62 is a pig.... It gets the mileage of an Italian sportscar, yet is has the get-up-and go of a 25hp Kubota... lol!

Last edited:
She will get better gas mileage with that set-up. But then again, if gas mileage was a concern, you would never have bought a 60. My 62 is a pig.... It's get's the mileage of an Italian sportscar, yet is has the get-up-and go of a 25hp Kubota... lol!
Wait, @FJosh60 no one has given you the official Mud Salute... so, here you go!

:flipoff2:

Welcome.

:grinpimp:

If you don't name her, The Avocado, you're not a real cruiser guy.

Welcome

All ships are female, and the FJ60 is a land yacht.

On a more practical front, the Early 60's are different in a lot of ways. Took me a bit to realize that (and that most people have later 60's, so the info here doesn't tend to be accurate for early owners). You need a 1980 Body manual: FSM - 1980 Chassis & Body 36044E - https://forum.ih8mud.com/resources/1980-chassis-body-36044e.137/ though the 1984+ manual has slightly better photos/wording for some things.

there's the rest of the 60 manuals on the site. Hopefully yours is less fuddled-with than mine... someone put a later gauge cluster in mine that threw me for all kinds of loops (4wd light, but there's no switch, or even spot for a switch, on the early transfer cases), rear hatch with defrost and wiper but the dash switches were not added and the switches have different pinouts from the later models, etc... Can be a highly frustrating experience with an Early 60. Just keep that in mind as you start your reading.

Very nice, shoot us some more pics when you can. Wondering whether a full color change was done (under hood etc)
They painted door jambs and the bottom of the hood, but they didn't strip the interior and paint the inside under the carpet or behind the dash or door panels. They also didn't paint the firewall or inner fenders, but I'll probably do something about that (probably semi gloss black and some sort of sound deadener/insuslation on the firewall) if/when I swap the motor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom