New buyer need some advice. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, all. I'm totally new to Land Cruisers (just sold my beloved Eunos Roadster) and looking at buying one from a dealer here in Germany. I've found a very well looked after Land Cruiser 90. 3.0 litre, 163hp, 200,000 km. It's also the smaller 3 door. Registered in December 2000 so I'm not sure if that is the D4D.

The car is in immaculate condition and has a service history until 2013, then it goes dark :) Apparently the previous owner was an enthusiast and looked after it himself but I'm worried as there's no history from then on. There is a 'TBELT' light on the cluster (it's not lit, but I can see it there), making me think this is belt-driven rather than chain-driven. Could that be the case? If it is chain-driven, is it 'lifetime' or will it need changing? Should I expect to see this has been done?

I just want to ask the community if this seems like a good purchase, and if there are any red flags? I haven't seen the car in person yet as it's five hours away. I'm no mechanic, but I'll do the lower ball joint check and all the usual engine stuff I would with a used car, but does anything jump out to you guys from this photo and video? I'm not even 100% sure which engine it is!

I have posted this same request on Reddit. There is a photo and a video of the car over there:

LINK TO PHOTO AND VIDEO

Thank you, all!

Sounds like it's a common rail engine (D4D). Info here: Toyota KD engine - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_KD_engine

I had no idea the 90 series came out with this engine. That would be a great wee truck I reckon! And plenty more power gains to be had from it if it's stock standard but being 163hp, sounds like some work has been done to it. Maybe a performance chip? Anyways, cool car. I wouldnt be too deterred by the timing belt/chain situation. Timing belts get done at 150,000 km intervals and there is a timer built into the dash. That light will come on when it's due.

Buying a used 1kd can be a bit of a project. Have injectors been replaced and was an egr blocking plate been installed? Take a look at my journal to see what kind of a mess is a stock 1kd with 149k kms

Last edited:
Hi, all. I'm totally new to Land Cruisers (just sold my beloved Eunos Roadster) and looking at buying one from a dealer here in Germany. I've found a very well looked after Land Cruiser 90. 3.0 litre, 163hp, 200,000 km. It's also the smaller 3 door. Registered in December 2000 so I'm not sure if that is the D4D.

The car is in immaculate condition and has a service history until 2013, then it goes dark :) Apparently the previous owner was an enthusiast and looked after it himself but I'm worried as there's no history from then on. There is a 'TBELT' light on the cluster (it's not lit, but I can see it there), making me think this is belt-driven rather than chain-driven. Could that be the case? If it is chain-driven, is it 'lifetime' or will it need changing? Should I expect to see this has been done?

I just want to ask the community if this seems like a good purchase, and if there are any red flags? I haven't seen the car in person yet as it's five hours away. I'm no mechanic, but I'll do the lower ball joint check and all the usual engine stuff I would with a used car, but does anything jump out to you guys from this photo and video? I'm not even 100% sure which engine it is!

I have posted this same request on Reddit. There is a photo and a video of the car over there:

LINK TO PHOTO AND VIDEO

Thank you, all!
My experience has been with the 1KZ-TE, not the D4D motor. The D4D was pretty common in the UK, where the 90 was sold as a Colorado. From what I read, if it's 163 hp that's the D4D.

If it's over 200k and the T-BELT light isn't on, you should be safe to assume it's been changed. The belt is not lifetime but it's not arduous to change.

My experience has been with the 1KZ-TE, not the D4D motor. The D4D was pretty common in the UK, where the 90 was sold as a Colorado. From what I read, if it's 163 hp that's the D4D.

If it's over 200k and the T-BELT light isn't on, you should be safe to assume it's been changed. The belt is not lifetime but it's not arduous to change.
Thank you for the reply, and to others above. Really helpful!

/ C

So, did you end up buying it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom