New Boxer boy. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long story short. Between my parents and myself we lost 5 boxers this past year (2012) to cancer, old age, one disappeared and one accident. I had three and all of them are rescues and adoptions. Had them for years.

2 of the 5 were mine and I still have a 10 year old girl that was an owner give up to me after a divorce. We just pulled this boy from the local humane society about 3 weeks ago. He was basically left alone in a back yard. Not fooled with and barely fed. He has a lot to learn but has come a long way.

He is pretty much house trained now and can sit. His biggest issue is his extremely strong prey drive and we have 4 cats. So, we are going to go through some training and see what we can do.

Here he is.
LarynLieben.jpg
photo.JPG
100_6401.jpg

Last edited:
A few more. Such a sweet boy, aggressive with affection and the front paws. But again, he has not been given much attention. He is three and just today had his first experience with a mirror. Quite funny and as goofy as boxers come.

His name is Lieben ("Lee" "Ben") German for 'to love'.

Kevin
100_6390.jpg
100_6392.jpg
100_6409.jpg

Well done, rescues are the best.:cool:

Yes, indeed they are. Certainly no shortage of those needing homes.

Our local humane society has been much improved. New management and a lot more structure and more community involvement. They have gone from a 60% kill rate to a 16%.

We also have another local shelter called Life House and they are a no kill shelter.

Thanks all. We love to do what we can for these animals.

Our local shelter has an annual membership and our kids want to join as well. My daughter is 10 and my son is 15, we will join as four members I guess. They can't volunteer alone till age 16 but can with an adult till then. We are going to go down as a family as often as we can. Take them for walks and whatever they need that we can help with.

I have never had to crate one but he was raised with a crate. He likes to go in it and sleep. And, he loves to grab whatever is closest, chew on it and throw it around. He has not torn much up yet other than my tote I use to carry firewood. Cheap one anyway so no big deal. So, crate is the only option for now while we are all out of the house, kids at school and us at work.

However, I am planning on retiring in about 6-8 months so I will be home more and in and out more often. And they can take more trips with me running around town.

Redmon

Looks like he found some goods folks to adopt. Hope you get to spend a long long time together as family.

^5 from another animal lover....

Awesome!!!

Our boxers seem to like their crates. We have them sleep in them at night, but they often hang out in their crates while we're home and the crate doors are open. I think they just find it to be a safe place where they can relax.

We foster dogs regularly and most of them also seem to like crates too - or at least be happy to have somewhere with a fluffy dog bed to sleep.

Sweet looking boy, sounds like my house we have a 14yr old male 13yr old female 6 yr old female just got a 3 yr old male

Cats.

Thanks, he is a very sweet boy. Boxers are a joy to have around, that is for sure.

He is definitely getting along with the cats now... found them sleeping like this.
100_6530.jpg
100_6531.jpg

Awesome. Nice addition.

Lazy daze.

My daughter was feeling pretty yucky today, didn't make it to school. Fever and all that goes with it. Lieben lazed with her a bit on the couch.
100_6533.jpg
100_6539.jpg

100_6534.jpg

Not so good.

We had a recent trip to the vet that resulted in some bad news. This guy has cancer, Lymphoma. We just lost 2 in Nov and Dec of last year. He is on treatments which makes him feel great but his time is limited. Probably have a year or possibly a year and a half of quality life. Maybe 2 but that is not so common.

He is a sweet dog, we adopted him back in December. He has spent the first 3 years of his life in a back yard without much attention given to him. Not always knowing what he was going to eat. This year I hope to be a great one for him. Show him some creeks, rivers and lakes. Let him run and take him on rides, one of his favorite things.

He is quite the happy fellow, that may be what we are here together for.

100_6600.jpg

Sorry to hear. Kudos on the commitment, sadly, not many would take on a sick pet. Give him lots of love and a good send off.

If you have the time and space, bring in a pup or young dog while he's still around. Having a youngster around will energize the older dog and ease the transition for you and your family. One of the best pet decisions I ever made was to introduce the new generation while the older ones were still around.

BTW, you two already look alike.

Sorry to hear. Kudos on the commitment, sadly, not many would take on a sick pet. Give him lots of love and a good send off.

If you have the time and space, bring in a pup or young dog while he's still around. Having a youngster around will energize the older dog and ease the transition for you and your family. One of the best pet decisions I ever made was to introduce the new generation while the older ones were still around.

BTW, you two already look alike.

Thanks brother, he was a great dog. This is an old thread but I will update.

He held on for 6 months and felt great that whole time up till the very end. He swam, ran and went kayaking. Was a free spirit, great dog.

We have since adopted a couple more boxer boys.

Lieben June 2013  351.jpg
Lieben June 2013 384.jpg
Lieben June 2013 389.jpg
Lieben June 2013 398.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom