New BFG KM3. Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'll be in the market within a couple months. Been running KM2s since May 2010 (on 2nd set now) and have been happy. Even as a daily driver, I don't mind driving them...

until they start their end of life phase and become very noisy (as they currently are for me). Perhaps a key design element to enhance new transactions, I suppose ;)

Even still, I'm debating going with the new KO2s or Duratracs. Are they any less noisy at their final 3-4 months of tread life? Could I get more than 2.5 yrs out of them (assuming cost is similar)? Will they work just as well on the trails for me (TN slickrock, AR shale, West TX hill country)? All questions I'm asking myself and others that know.

Even still, I'm debating going with the new KO2s or Duratracs. Are they any less noisy at their final 3-4 months of tread life? Could I get more than 2.5 yrs out of them (assuming cost is similar)? Will they work just as well on the trails for me (TN slickrock, AR shale, West TX hill country)? All questions I'm asking myself and others that know.

I live less than 15 miles from Windrock and ran KM2s on my 80. I debated over and over on what tires to replace them with and ended up with the KO2s. See my review in the KO2 thread in this sub forum. For me the balance of the KO2 on and off road won over for me. I loved my KM2s when it was nasty, but 95% of my driving didn't warrant a mud tire. I plan to use my new Warn M8000 more, but honestly when Windrock gets muddy in places even the KM2 doesn't cut it.

I know a few people no longer running Duratracs due to increased noise over time. Unsure if it's the result of lack of rotation, air pressure differences, or what...I only know they changed to something else.

I have noted no noise increases with my KO2's yet. Guessing 4000 miles on them right now, just put on 650ish during the EJS trip in Moab and house hunting in SoUT. Still looking for a reason to not like them...I DID see some wear from the Moab rock (gee, surprise) but far less than my earlier AT-KO tires I ran in Moab 2014. The larger outer tread blocks have experienced only edge wear, NO chunking (which I consider a huge win for an AT-type tire)

I ran BFG A/T's for several years. Now I run Toyo OC A/T II & they blow the BFG's away, especially on rocks & in mud.

Still hearing that the KM3 is out this Fall (October) but people are really keeping this on the down low. It is very unlikely that news of a new tire will be mentioned on several sites mentioning this Fall but the release date is two years away. The KO2 looks interesting enough but I am afraid the 35" is small and almost a 33.5. The KM3 may suffer from this same affiliation but remains to be seen. The 37" KO2 is just under 36" so a bit big for my setup. So I guess I will either run my MTRs down or get another set of new MTRs. These seem to be getting a bit too loud as they wear down...hopefully not in my imagination.

I get sneak-previews from a few companies, including BFG...if the KM3 is coming, they aren't telling anyone. I suspect a fall release is simply a rumor gone wild.

I had pics and info on the new Cooper SST Pro about 6 months before it was released...and am STILL sitting on info for a new PitBull that's coming (been sitting on that for over a year now...stupid development delays!)

I saw a real phone pic of the KM3's stacked in the plant. I told him to just look at it, not show me, I'll juss look over his shoulder... he said he didn't care.

.and am STILL sitting on info for a new PitBull that's coming (been sitting on that for over a year now...stupid development delays!)

Peaked my interest :)

Any updates on the KM3 rumors?

They ain't rumors. They are slated for market in 2017. Always have been... True to BFG fashion... they hype the hello-kitty out of it, and the "secret" ain't so secret...

64289d1432152028-bfg-km3-new-mud-terrain-km3-2.jpg

I just put the KO2 units on the DD... and yes, have even trail-digged in them too. They're awesome.
Got red label Krawlers on the trail-digger. They make me look like I know what I'm doing.
Just wish BFG had a good motorhouse tire...

Grab a set of 3510.50x15s for me please ;)

I'll wait a couple of years, I guess...unless I switch to 37s next year. I just put on new 35" MTRs. I actually tried 315/70/17 Nitto MTs for two weeks, did not like them at all, and switched for new 35" MTRs. I like them a lot but the 37s keep calling my name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom