New 8 speed transmission... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When using cruise control does anyone with a 16+ experience rough down shifts when going down a small grade? I'm talking hills, not mountains. I live in the midwest where most roads are flat, but every incline poses this issue. In order to reduce speed the engine seems to slam down into 4th or 5th gear to slow. It's rather abrupt and revs the engine to 3000 rpm. The engine acts as if it's a run away train trying to slow down. My wife refuses to use the CC because of this. I cant say i blame her. I've been "living" with it, hoping that the trans learns not to do this. I'm wondering if the update fixes this issue or if others have experienced this.
Yes - my '16 does this on hills. I had the first transmission flash installed last year, and it did not help.

When using cruise control does anyone with a 16+ experience rough down shifts when going down a small grade? I'm talking hills, not mountains. I live in the midwest where most roads are flat, but every decline poses this issue. In order to reduce speed the engine seems to slam down into 4th or 5th gear to slow. It's rather abrupt and revs the engine to 3000 rpm. The engine acts as if it's a run away train trying to slow down. My wife refuses to use the CC because of this. I cant say i blame her. I've been "living" with it, hoping that the trans learns not to do this. I'm wondering if the update fixes this issue or if others have experienced this.

That's one of the main complaints I have about the 8 speed in my '17. It does not cruise well at all. The trans does not learn to do any better (at least over 15,000 miles). I hope that latest update mentioned in post 133 addresses this.

This is a little disheartening. Hopefully the new update will fix. It's quite an awful experience when it down shifts. Everyone in the car visibly will lurch forward when it does it. My 2 year old asked what was wrong with the car.

My 2018, seems to hunt or double clutch at low speeds for the correct gear but at highway has not seemed to be an issue.

The downshift when slowing to stop is pretty normal feelings. I think having more gears makes this a little more exaggerated. The cruising speed is definitely a turnoff. I'm assuming the LC does not utilize the brakes when controlling the speed, rather uses the engine. It's bad.....

I had TSB - 0209 - 17 SHIFT ENHANCEMENT performed this morning at the dealership. It fixed the low speed "gear hunting" that I was experiencing.

I'm not certain. The one I listed is the one that was performed. I have a 2016. Seems to have resolved my issues.

This is the 2017 TSB, right? Not the one referenced above that may be even newer?

I had the TSB done last week, it seems to have eliminated the low speed hunting/decoupling that was annoying me. I assumed that the TSB stayed the same, but the firmware involved changed. Here's hoping.

I had the TSB done last week, it seems to have eliminated the low speed hunting/decoupling that was annoying me. I assumed that the TSB stayed the same, but the firmware involved changed. Here's hoping.

Does the dealer charge to do the TSB if you’re out of warranty? I’m at 46k miles so no warranty left for me.

no warranty left for me.
Sorry, but IDK.
You aren’t that far out, and the TSB came out a long time ago, so maybe you have a decent case, especially if you have them do something else.

Sorry, but IDK.
You aren’t that far out, and the TSB came out a long time ago, so maybe you have a decent case, especially if you have them do something else.

Just dropped it off tonight for new brakes, so I'll give them a ring in the morning to see if they don't mind adding it to the ticket.

I had to pay for an hour of labor for diagnostics and reprogramming, but I had the TSB done and it did make a notable difference. Much smoother at low speeds and much better at downshifting. Glad I got it done even tho I had to pay.
You had to pay an hour of labor to get them to perform a TSB on a vehicle under warranty? That is a complete ripoff.

I wonder why that wasn't covered under the 5/60 powertrain warranty?

That’s a good point I wasn’t thinking of the powertrain warranty. The warranty book says this is covered on the transmission so I’ll follow up with them about it:

“Case and all internal parts, torque converter, clutch cover, transmission mounts, transfer case and all internal parts, engine control computer, seals and gaskets.”

Also just dug this up here 2016-2017 Toyota Land Cruiser Harsh Shift Transmission

“Some 2016 – 2017 model year Land Cruiser vehicles may exhibit one or all of the
following conditions:

Harsh shift on hard acceleration.

The vehicle has run out of fuel. After refueling, the vehicle does not creep, or has a
delayed/harsh transmission engagement.

Shift shock 1st to 2nd gear when the water temperature is below 140° F.

The Engine Control Module (ECM, SAE term: Powertrain Control Module/PCM) has been
revised. Use the following TSB 0209-17 to address this condition.

This repair is covered under the Toyota Federal Emission Warranty. This warranty is in effect
for 96 months or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.”

Last edited:
That’s a good point I wasn’t thinking of the powertrain warranty. The warranty book says this is covered on the transmission so I’ll follow up with them about it:

“Case and all internal parts, torque converter, clutch cover, transmission mounts, transfer case and all internal parts, engine control computer, seals and gaskets.”

Also just dug this up here 2016-2017 Toyota Land Cruiser Harsh Shift Transmission

“Some 2016 – 2017 model year Land Cruiser vehicles may exhibit one or all of the
following conditions:

Harsh shift on hard acceleration.

The vehicle has run out of fuel. After refueling, the vehicle does not creep, or has a
delayed/harsh transmission engagement.

Shift shock 1st to 2nd gear when the water temperature is below 140° F.

The Engine Control Module (ECM, SAE term: Powertrain Control Module/PCM) has been
revised. Use the following TSB 0209-17 to address this condition.

This repair is covered under the Toyota Federal Emission Warranty. This warranty is in effect
for 96 months or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.”

Damn!! Not even a reach around or a kiss? ;)

The invoice doesn't have the service codes, but I did not get the detailed service report. Supposedly there have been 3 software updates and 2 TSB's. The first TSB was issued for just the '16 model year with an ECU update. A 2nd TSB that expanded the issue to include '17 model years was issued in late 17 along with another ECU update and then according to the service advisor a new ECU update was just added earlier this month. I did the 1st ECU update after the 1st TSB was issued and it improved the shifts a little, but not much. I didn't know about the 3rd one until I took it in today based on the 2nd TSB. Hope that helps.

I had the dealer install the SW update in mid February and although it fixed the issue of rough shifting when cold and in some cases the gear hunt, when at a lower speed (5-10mph) harsh shift is still there and I can recreate it almost every time.

When did you get this updated software installed? I am thinking of going back to the dealership and get the service manager with me to witness it and request the same as you did; whatever updated ETC software version there is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom