"new" 2002 Sequoia SR5 - possible spark plug issue? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi There, checking in from Alberta, Canada. Long time lurker, first time poster. I've cross posted on other forms since it seems like there isn't a whole lot of activity on the 1st gen Sequoia boards. So I apologize if you've seen this post already.

I've recently picked up an '02 SR5 Sequoia 4wd from a friend with ~346k KM (215k Miles) on the clock. Seems to run fine and I am in the process of establishing a baseline (going to flush ATF, Diff, Transfer case fluids etc etc).

Today I swapped out the spark plugs and YIKES! The gap difference is quite significant as they used spark plugs that are not recommended. The manual says you can use either Denso K20R-U (which is what the dealership sold me) or NGK BKR6EYA. However, whenever these plugs were replaced (not sure when) they used NGK BKR6EGP. Could there be any lasting damage caused by this?

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_9959.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

The BKR6EGP (and the Denso K20R-U) are factory equivalent . The BKR6EGP is one of the recommended sparks plugs for the 4.7 according to the NKG website. The BKR6EYA are "Fouling Resistant" and the BKR6EGP are "Platinum Alloy Fine Wire". They all have the same heat range. The biggest difference is the Platinum will usually have a longer service life than the standard spark plug.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info!

I was just going by the user's manual and the only two mentioned were the Denso K20R-U and NGK BKR6EYA. So is it possible that the plugs had a similar gap when new, its just that they were in there for so long they deteriorated to what we see here? It just seems excessive to me.

You should ask you friend if he ever changed the spark plugs and if so, when. If I were a betting man, I would guess the old plugs are probably approaching the 100K mile range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom