Need Ideas, Coil conversion Orlando area shop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Its about that time. I wasn't planning on doing it yet, but my GX was stolen a few weeks ago and recovered. They damaged some things and the air ride is shot. I'm considering just doing the conversion now, but insurance will cover the rear airbags if I want to go that route. Any ideas on a CFL shop so I can get a ballpark on install cost. I could do it by myself I guess, but I would be really nervous as this is the family suv at the moment.

Also, lets say I have Lexus just replace the bags, when I upgrade to Icon or Radflo Coilovers in a few months are they compatible if I set them to no lift? I don't want to do the airbag level trick, I would rather just run stock height.

Thanks everyone.

I just changed out my airbags for springs and shocks. Ride is GREAT. I did not want much of a lift. Will and his team at Sierra Expeditions nailed it. Here's the list of parts. Ride is still very smooth like the air suspension. My GX does have KDSS. If yours does not, perhaps the handling may vary a bit.
OME 2895e rear springs (for Prado short wheel base)
Fox 2.0 Remote Resi rear shocks (03-09 4Runner/07-14 FJ Cruiser)
Fox 2.5 Coilovers (Toyota 120)
The cost with labor and alignment was $2,600.

IMG_5025.JPG
IMG_5027.JPG
IMG_5028.JPG
IMG_5029.JPG
IMG_5032.JPG

Wow, that looks great. How much lift? I'm really hoping there is someone in central Florida that can do it reasonably. Or I might just attempt it myself. I almost trust myself more than some random jiffy lube.

We did not use the Metal Tech 4x4 kit, but my experiences with Metal Tech have been great. The invoice from Sierra Expeditions shows a spring retainer, but the brand is not called out.

We are using the Metal Tech sliders on the GX and have had a lot of favorable comments about them. Kyle at Sierra Expeditions installed our sliders and did a great job! They are incredibly stout.

IMG_5052.jpg

@Dclain87 swapping out the rear yourself is not at all difficult, and only requires basic tools: jack, stands, 17mm and/or 19mm (ratcheting wrench for top shock mount is super helpful). 14mm for swaybar endlinks iirc.

Even with very basic mechanical skills and a dose of common sense and good eye for safety, this is easily doable alone. I didn't use a spring compressor on mine nor did I loosen panhard or control arms: you can use the factory bottle jack between frame and axle to get room for springs, or (as I did) have a lovely helper stand on the axle.

It really is easily done at home, read some of the threads here about which fuses to pull and you'll be all set.

Thanks Joe for the reply. This makes me feel much better. I have read a bunch of the threads already and am preparing for it. I'm still trying to figure out if I want to go stock height with FJ coils or go with the Icon 2inch. I don't want the ride to be super soft or stiff. I'm hoping for something in the middle. I probably won't add a rear bumper or armor for another year. Looking to move to Knoxville, I'm sure I'll need it on those trails.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom