Need Help on a 65 Mustang (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If this is in the wrong section i'm sorry but...

I've been trying to help my friend get his dads old 65 mustang running and we've hit a snag with the carburator. gas is going through the fuel pump and filter but there is no gas spray inside the carb. i'm not real knowlegable where carbs are concerned and i dont think its stock bit it is a single barrel with a large round covered air filter on top. what should i try? (were not sure the carb is the only problem but i"m trying to eliminate one problem at a time.)

It's very possible the accelerator pump in bad. On a Ford they are on the front or bottom front of the carb. It is what sprays fuel in the carb when you pump it. They go bad a lot, especially on a vehicle that sits a lot. They are easy to fix and are still available at most parts stores.

Try to start it on starting fluid. That will tell you

1. if the problem is a fuel problem. If it starts, it must be a fuel problem
2. if the problem is a choke or accel pump problem if the car runs on its own after starting

You can also crack the line at the fuel pump to see if fuel is getting to the carb.

gas is getting all the way to the carb but i have no idea what happens to it after that. when i opened up the line it was under some pressure. is it supposed to be like that?

the float is the flap that changes how much air enters right?
i don't have much evperiance with carbs

My bet would be that it has been sitting too long and there is a bunch of varnish in the carb making the float stick.

The float is the part that floats on top of the fuel in the float bowl. It opens and closes the needle valve that lets the fuel in. When the engine uses fuel the level drops in the bowl, the float drops, the needle opens and fuel comes in. When fuel fills the bowl the float rises and shuts off the fuel flow.

It works just like a toilet that way.

You can't see the float without taking the top off the carb.

The flap on the top that shuts off air is the choke. It make the fuel mixture much more fuel saturated when the engine is cold. Fuel doesn't burn well in cold engines.

your best option is either to get someone to rebuild the carb, cause either your jets are clogged or your floater is messed up. But BEFORE you do that get a can of Seafoam and FOLLOW the directions on the bottle. If you get a little confused, [pour in straight through the induction] (the top of the carb).

Let me know how it goes!!!

Goodluck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom