Need help diagnosing overheating issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for input...

Po's chinese radiator developed a leak about two months ago. I had a Toyota (plastic caps) rad from another truck and swapped it in.

Shortly after install, a few miles, blew the PHH. Got close to the red, on the climb up the driveway, but got it home and shut off.

As of now, have replaced PHH with silicone and Breeze clamps. Let radiator sit in muriatic acid/distilled mix 3 times and flushed. about 2 cups of fine sediment/flakes were flushed. Reinstalled with tap for now.

Fan clutch is old black hub Aisin with new 10k CST.

Tonight, switched rad caps, drove truck and still overheats on long grades and our steep drive coming home otherwise normal temps. Did not blow bubbles in overflow tank after switching caps but still got hot.

The fan doesn't seem like it's pulling like it should up the hill and hot (when temps are increasing) but when I get to the driveway and turn the AC on recirc it will kick on a few minutes later and pull ALOT of air.

I have attempted to bleed air from the system several times uphill, full heat, and initially got alot of air bubbles, but no more as of yesterday??

I have swapped fan clutches from the other truck, which has no issues to no avail.

??

Still air in the system? Radiator clogged? Do the blue hub w/25K CST? New radiator?

Any ideas, direction, thoughts greatly appreciated as I am at a loss for what's going on. :bang: TIA

JP

I think we need some more info on the truck such as mileage, has the HG been replaced (which truck is it?), waterpump, etc? Running hot is sometimes hard to diagnose when the truck is sitting in the driveway, when you're reading about it it's even harder. FYI I've had the same problem twice, once with my FJ62 and once with my 80. Both times the solution was a new radiator, and this was after I'd replaced the waterpump, thermostat, hoses, etc. The radiator has very fine tubes which over time get plugged, especially if the PO, or you, didn't use distilled water, or Toyota red. Just my $.02. Good luck, Ned

I think we need some more info on the truck such as mileage, has the HG been replaced (which truck is it?), waterpump, etc? Running hot is sometimes hard to diagnose when the truck is sitting in the driveway, when you're reading about it it's even harder. FYI I've had the same problem twice, once with my FJ62 and once with my 80. Both times the solution was a new radiator, and this was after I'd replaced the waterpump, thermostat, hoses, etc. The radiator has very fine tubes which over time get plugged, especially if the PO, or you, didn't use distilled water, or Toyota red. Just my $.02. Good luck, Ned

It's my truck, slightly built, 24x,xxx miles, original HG AFAIK, runs hot uphill long grades and our drive as stated. Rad has been cleaned as best as I can do and can see coolant movement.

Waterpump has not been replace, no movement in shaft, t-stat operational, hoses good. Any different offerings?

Didnt want to but decided to test the block....dye turned yellow instantly and coolant now smells like oil. Guess its HG time.

Thanks to all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom