Need help diagnosing burning oil out of the exhaust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I have 1fz-fe 80.

I have been burning oil out of my exhaust, I'm thinking it is worn piston rings. I have had someone say valve stem seals.

It happens on cold start. Doesnt really happens when I start when the engine is warmed up.
The smoke gets worse when I'm on an incline. Whenever the Ac idler kicks on it smokes. I can't really see it when I'm driving so I don't know if it happens on acceleration but I'm assuming it does.

I did do a 2500 km road trip last week, and I had no dramas except I had burned through a lot of oil on the way down. However on the drive back home after I refiled it up it it didn't have the same problem.

I plan to change to heavier-weight mineral oil to see if that helps lessen the smoke. Otherwise, I will look at doing a rebuild before I tour the rest of Australia. Please let me know if you have any advice. It's greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Also here are some photos of the trip,

DSC03303-3.jpg

DSC03296-3.jpg

Gorgeous! Sounds like valve stem seals to me. But I'm pretty far off and my hearing isn't what it used to be ;)

Not a major problem, as long as you keep oil in it.

Hello,

I have 1fz-fe 80.

I have been burning oil out of my exhaust, I'm thinking it is worn piston rings. I have had someone say valve stem seals.

It happens on cold start. Doesnt really happens when I start when the engine is warmed up.
The smoke gets worse when I'm on an incline. Whenever the Ac idler kicks on it smokes. I can't really see it when I'm driving so I don't know if it happens on acceleration but I'm assuming it does.

I did do a 2500 km road trip last week, and I had no dramas except I had burned through a lot of oil on the way down. However on the drive back home after I refiled it up it it didn't have the same problem.

I plan to change to heavier-weight mineral oil to see if that helps lessen the smoke. Otherwise, I will look at doing a rebuild before I tour the rest of Australia. Please let me know if you have any advice. It's greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Also here are some photos of the trip,

View attachment 3301286

View attachment 3301287
Blue smoke under startup is typically valve seals.
Blue smoke under warm acceleration is rings.
Blue smoke under deceleration is valve seals.
White smoke under acceleration is head gasket.
Black smoke under acceleration is excessive fuel (A/F ratio)

Also, the amount of use of oil also depends upon RPM of engine under regular load.
I have found is I operate my 1FZ-FE at 2600 RPM or less during normal driving (downshift for OD off is about 3200 RPM) keeps my oil consumption low. If I run at 2800 RPM (OD off is 3400 RPM +).
This is because the engine continues to feed oil to the top of the head, where the PCV valve can suck oil out as the oil stays on the top of the head for a longer period of time. If the RPM is lower, the amount of oil on top of the head is less and will tend to burn less.

Blue smoke under startup is typically valve seals.
Blue smoke under warm acceleration is rings.
Blue smoke under deceleration is valve seals.
White smoke under acceleration is head gasket.
Black smoke under acceleration is excessive fuel (A/F ratio)

Also, the amount of use of oil also depends upon RPM of engine under regular load.
I have found is I operate my 1FZ-FE at 2600 RPM or less during normal driving (downshift for OD off is about 3200 RPM) keeps my oil consumption low. If I run at 2800 RPM (OD off is 3400 RPM +).
This is because the engine continues to feed oil to the top of the head, where the PCV valve can suck oil out as the oil stays on the top of the head for a longer period of time. If the RPM is lower, the amount of oil on top of the head is less and will tend to burn less.
Thanks for the breakdown!

I will monitor it!

how many km's on the motor and what grade oil do you normally run?

I'd recommend penrite hpr30 if your not already using it especially in QLD with warmer temps

how many km's on the motor and what grade oil do you normally run?

I'd recommend penrite hpr30 if your not already using it especially in QLD with warmer temps
Hey I have Penrite hpr15 15w-60

I will definitely change to hpr30

I have around a little less than 340000 kms on it right now.

The update changed to Hpr30, which is a 20w-60 dino oil, and my oil pressures were a lot better, and the smoking got a lot better!

Also serviced my diffs while I was at it. Now I need to replace my AC compressor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom