Need advice on my truck bed trailer - suspension issue??H (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone,

I have an f150 and I bought an 8' slide in camper that was just a tad too heavy for my truck with all my gear (I was over my payload by about 500 pounds) so I bought a pickup bed converted into a trailer to haul the camper in there as I can tow more than my payload.

At any rate, I bought an older ford 3/4 ton bed that was converted... and I bought it more or less sight unseen.

The leafs are good in shape but the shock suspension welds have broken off the frame... So the shocks are not engaged at all.

I have not put the camper in the bed yet... Should I be concerned? Can I carry this camper without the shocks and rely solely on the leafs?

I know nothing about this so please dumb it down if you have advice and don't assume I have any basic understanding regarding the mechanics that come into play.

Any advice is appreciated!

Cheers,
Patrick

I would be very concerned about the lack of dampening causing side to side sway, possibly even catastrophic at highway speeds.

You should be able to carry it without the shocks, but what will happen is when you hit bumps your camper/trailer is going to bounce even worse than if you had bad shocks. Most travel trailers don't have shocks. It all depends on what you plan on using it for. Overall, you should be ok with no shocks, but ride quality will be better with them. I would recommend hooking them back up if possible.

I would be very concerned about the lack of dampening causing side to side sway, possibly even catastrophic at highway speeds.

Yes, when I stood on the bed it would move a lot - almost gave the sensation of sea legs after standing on it for 10 minutes while I cleaned it... And that's with 220 pounds... Hate to think how that would act with 1900 pounds on it...

Can this issue be solved/helped with sway bars, another aftermarket product or anything to do with the existing leafs, or do I need to find a way to have the suspension welded back on? I suspect that it might cost more than the trailer is worth.....

You should be able to carry it without the shocks, but what will happen is when you hit bumps your camper/trailer is going to bounce even worse than if you had bad shocks. Most travel trailers don't have shocks. It all depends on what you plan on using it for. Overall, you should be ok with no shocks, but ride quality will be better with them. I would recommend hooking them back up if possible.

Would you not be concerned with the trailer lean as above? I sure do like your answer but I want to be on the safe side.

It may be an issue and I did not think of that when I first replied. As you asked previously sway bars may help but the cost would be cost prohibitive think. I would agree with titanpat57. The reason being, in my opinion, is that if your load did get to bouncing at speed it would be quite easy to lose control of it, especially with the short length and taller relative height of your trailer. Unless you have a lot of rust, re-welding them (if you can yourself or have a buddy that can) should not be hard.

Thanks All,

I'm glad I asked before taking the family out on a trip. I do have a buddy that welds - I'll take it up with him and see if he can help out.

Shocks on such a suspension are an absolute requirement. Unloaded it is probably stiff enough to move at highway speeds, but it will be "jittery." Loaded w/o shocks is NFG!

Trailers w/o shocks work because the springs are so stiff that they barely move regardless. That's why they bang and clang going down the road, no compliance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom