Need a shop in Kansas City area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need a shop in Kansas City area - Update: need transmission info

I have a 1986 FJ60 with 263k, and something bad just happened with the transmission.

I've had it for a few months, and it's never been able to downshift into 3rd gear, knew that when I bought it. No grinding or funky noises, it simply would not downshift. Usually I put the shifter in 2nd, then upshift into 3rd just fine. Except that today, while trying to move the shifter into 2nd I heard grinding, I backed off, heard a bang/clunk/pop type sound, and lost power to the wheels. The vehicle vibrated while coasting, like a tire out of baance, and the engine kept running. I pulled over and noticed nothing out of the ordinary from underneath, but it will not move.

The way I see it, either the clutch disc blew up (when I stopped, it sounded like loose **** from the trans tunnel but cleared up after a few seconds), or I suffered actual mechanical damage to the gears. Either way, i can't fix it in my apartment parking lot.

So, I need a recomendation for a shop in the greater Kansas City area, specifically in Lenexa, KS. I didn't see any shops in the Mechanic registry for either state (KS or MO), so I need some help.

Thanks...

Last edited:
....Sorry to hear that!

I live up by KCI and would like to help, but I'm out of pocket the next couple of weeks. Have you posted up in the CLUB section under "Tornado Alley Cruisers" the Kansas/Missouri Club. Someone on there may even have an old tranny they'd work with you on. There certainly could suggest a shop.

Good luck!

I did post in the Clubhouse, and am getting some good help there so thanks for the tip.

Anyway, once I was informed of the inspections cover's existence, I found that my clutch did indeed explode. A quick online check reveals no chain stores with a clutch in stock (of course), but I should be able to get a kit from RockAuto for under $200. If anybody has suggestions for someplace else to browse, I'm all ears.

It's been suggested that I swap tranny's anyway, since I had the shifting problem, and a member was asking some folks he knew for me, but I found a guy parting out a 1979 TLC, and he has 2 tranny's - either with or without a t-case.

So my question is: Would a '79 trans bolt up?

check your thread in the club section. I can look on the shelf as well to see if i have a 19 spline h42 i just don't remember having one. course i think i have an output shaft that could be swapped into a 16 spine but that's like work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom