Need a 3spd transfer case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Richard and I went to Interlake for the day. Had a great day wondering around in the woods. The problem is we got turned around getting back to the trailers and had to drive about 3 miles on county roads. My transfer case began making strange noises, under power it was ok, but when coasting it made a strange noise. Stopped and put a bottle of gear oil in it and continued to the trailers noise was maybe a little less but still there.
When I got home and unloaded the 40 I ran it down the road and didn't notice any noise. It had been to the car wash and had plenty of time to cool off completely. Going to check it out better the next few days to see if there is any damage. Hopefully not, but...... I don't have a spare and have been wanting one. So even if this is OK I would still like a spare. So anybody got one they want to part with?
Will a 4spd transfer bolt up in a 3spds place? If so anyone got one of those? I know a guy down here with one as a spare for his street driven 40 that may trade me if I have one that would still work on his truck.

Last edited:
Thanks Todd, your knowledge is priceless as usual. I still haven't had time to look at the 40, hope it's not messed up too bad.

If the gears that are damaged I have a pile of random 3sp t-case gears I can hook you up with. Cruiser Outfitters has good t-case rebuild kits at a fair price.

Nick

OK finally got time to look at the 40. Fluid was very watery, but no metal chunks or flakes. Took pto cover off and insides look fine. Then I noticed the loose nut and stud to the plate adapter. All bolts and nuts holding the transfer were loose, one was about to fall off. This I hope is my problem, haven't drove it yet so we'll see.

Guess I need to add these bolts to my list to check be fore wheeling.

drove the 40 today. It seems to be fine, no noise at all. So I'm hopeing it is fine. Could still use a spare if I can find one.

Found one, well, it found me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom