Nav (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bryanseye

Inaffective Grammer Nazi
SILVER Star
Threads
Between pit of man's fears and summit of knowledge
Website
www.upstatecruisers.com
I need to update my maps. I keep a few state road maps in my glove box, but want more off-highway detail. I was about to pick up a DeLorme NC and SC gazatteer, but it looks like they are no longer updating them and are aged enough that it could be an issue (as seen on the HC ride).

Is the DeLorme still the best paper option? If not, what? NatGeo has a series of maps but leaves out this area.

What non-data connection dependent phone apps do you recommend?

sc-map.jpg

Last week I used the Waze app when I went camping. It showed some forest and gravel roads but not all of them but it does use data.

Iphone Apps that let you download area maps before you lose signal:
Ulmon Pro - City Maps 2 Go
MotionX-GPS

The trade-off is offline maps take up storage space on your phone. If you want to be able to zoom in to level 16 detail, it will take up a LOT of storage space.

Ill second motion X and im not even up to par with it. I used a combo of that, gazzateer and photos of USFS maps to poke around with this weekend.

Wish id read that about the delorme first ha. Just recieved 3 more lst week TN,VA,WV.... need to grab SC and a new NC as well.

Got me 2 for 2 now but one was a scale issue. Zoom in with motion X and the roads actually didnt connect. But ali g the same i rode a fsr for an hour past the dotted line on motion x ended

IMG_2235.PNG

Wish id read that about the delorme first ha. Just recieved 3 more lst week TN,VA,WV.... need to grab SC and a new NC as well.

View attachment 1477612
Well, I don't know that to be fact. I found that mentioned in several places online, but nothing official. They have it listed on their site, with recent copywrites, so it looks like it is still being printed. I am not sure how the copywrite date translates to map data updating though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom