Name that tool... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Cleaning up my garage and found this from back in the day.
Anyone else still have one of these? Hint: you wouldn't need it for any FJ series.
IMG_4710.JPG

For balancing twin SU carbs. I still have one from my POS Triumph Spitfire that spun a bearing in El Segundo on a Sunday night and cost me $110 to have towed home, in 1983. Not that I remember specifics.

I used mine on early 70's BMW 6 cyl's. 2800CS, Bavaria, etc. I bought the Bavaria in a salvage yard after an engine fire. A couple of years later I'm driving down the highway and I've got a major loss of power but the engine is still running. Long story short, the needle/float valve on one carbs stuck open and was spilling gas out onto the exhaust manifold. Of course, I'm picturing another engine fire...but once the fuel evaporated, a hammer to the side of the carb freed the float and the trip continued without problem. This tool was used to balance air flow so that the front 3 and rear 3 cylinders got the same amount of air/fuel mixture.

I had one many years ago to balance multiple motorcycle carbs. I also used it on my 1967 Datsun Roadster with the Japanese version of twin SU's. Very handy tool, though I haven't seen it in years. Probably buried somewhere out in my "shop".

Don

The proper name for it is a manometer.

The commercial name was "Unisyn".

They're still made (in China, of course) without the original name. I think Empi markets the thing for about $10.

They work but the block airflow. Better and quicker to use the more expensive 'snail' type - Snail Type Syncrometer Carb Sync Tool, GERMAN, SK Model - Aircooled.Net VW Parts but with some carb installs being able to angle the unisyn into tight spots is nice.

The proper name for it is a manometer.

Thanks for jogging my memory. I couldn't remember what it was called. I haven't worked on a motorcycle, or any multi-carb set ups since probably the early 80's.

Don

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom