MY14+ GX 460 - what's the "sweet spot" trim? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All-

Well, after much indecision and hand wringing, we've decided to purchase a 2014+ GX 460. It seems like the Goldilocks solution for our 4R/GX/LC situation. Well priced, comfortable, capable, etc etc.

Now I'm stuck trying to figure out the options and what I really want to hunt for on the used market!

Originally I had my heart set on a model with Dynamic Radar Cruise. While I still like that option, it seems to be incredibly rare - and of course only paired with the air suspension that I don't really want. I would prefer CRAWL and a heated steering wheel, but I'm trying to keep it as close to $40k as possible and under 60k miles.

So, that all having been said: It looks like we're hunting for a Premium model (3 zone HVAC). I *believe* that includes Mulit-Terrain Select as standard (can someone confirm!?).

Is there anything else I should be aware of / look for? This is going to be a daily driver, however I plan to delete the running boards and install sliders pretty quickly, and upgrade the suspension and fit AT tires as well. In the future I would be interested in a winch, bumper(s), locker(s), etc - but that'll take some time.

This is my first Toyota product and I'm feeling particularly burned by VW right now. Is Lexus CPO worth the additional cost, or should I just track down service records and carfax records and throw caution to the wind?

Feedback and advice is great appreciated.

Hi All-

Well, after much indecision and hand wringing, we've decided to purchase a 2014+ GX 460. It seems like the Goldilocks solution for our 4R/GX/LC situation. Well priced, comfortable, capable, etc etc.

Now I'm stuck trying to figure out the options and what I really want to hunt for on the used market!

Originally I had my heart set on a model with Dynamic Radar Cruise. While I still like that option, it seems to be incredibly rare - and of course only paired with the air suspension that I don't really want. I would prefer CRAWL and a heated steering wheel, but I'm trying to keep it as close to $40k as possible and under 60k miles.

So, that all having been said: It looks like we're hunting for a Premium model (3 zone HVAC). I *believe* that includes Mulit-Terrain Select as standard (can someone confirm!?).

Is there anything else I should be aware of / look for? This is going to be a daily driver, however I plan to delete the running boards and install sliders pretty quickly, and upgrade the suspension and fit AT tires as well. In the future I would be interested in a winch, bumper(s), locker(s), etc - but that'll take some time.

This is my first Toyota product and I'm feeling particularly burned by VW right now. Is Lexus CPO worth the additional cost, or should I just track down service records and carfax records and throw caution to the wind?

Hi All-

The Premium model is the way to go. I have a 2015 Premium. The benefit is it has the comfort options for a daily driver like cooled front seats (important here in Texas), adaptive cruise control, parking sensors, blind spot monitoring and navigation standard, but it does not have the failure-prone and difficult to replace air bag suspension found in the Luxury models.
The Premium does not come with multi terrain select or crawl control standard. In fact, in my search I was not able to find any with those options on the local used market. I take mine crawling (moderate level) and have not been in a situation where I felt MTS or crawl control would have been preferred, as the ATRAC system is really great and I prefer controlling speed with gearing and throttle.
I personally did not go with Lexus certified, but mainly because I found a great deal on a very low mile vehicle. The cost difference was significant enough that the CPOs out there didn't make any sense financially. If you get a great deal workout CPO, save the extra money for mods.
For sliders I recommend Metal Tech OPOR. They work well with KDSS, are beefy and slightly angled with a kick-off for good protection crawling, and have a nice step tread pattern on top. I will be posting build threads soon that show these, among my other mods.
If you are considering adding bumpers or winch be aware that there are few solutions for GX460s, especially 2014+. Metal Tech has developed a rear bumper that they should be selling soon, although it is a little more obtrusive than I am looking for. I like the Kaymar solution but they have proven remarkably difficult to contact. Southern Style Offroad has purchased a post-facelift 460, so I assume it is only a matter of time before they have a front bumper solution and they always do very strong and functional designs. I'm a little impatient though and will likely be ordering an arb Safari front bar for the Prado 150 VX/Kakadu this next week, hoping it lines up decently with the front grill and won't result in terrible-looking trim lines. It will hang out in front more than anything from SSO, but they are a well-engineered and proven design. I will be sure to document the process and post the results.
For suspension, I am running Total Chaos upper control arms and Dobinsons MRR shocks/springs all around. I went with the medium duty springs. Even loaded up right now it seems a bit stiff (although my front bar and winch may change that with the added weight), so doing it again I would likely choose the softer springs because it is my daily driver. But bang for your buck the shocks can't be beat for good quality rebuildable remote reservoirs. Contact Kyle Fogle at Treaty Oak Offroad if you are thinking of going in that direction or need more information. I understand they are coming out with adjustable versions in the near future, if they aren't already available. Unless you are really hard-core you don't need remote reservoirs, so the extra expense is not necessary. But the reservoirs do provide better cooling, which is always good in my book and worth the additional money. Kyle can show you other alternatives without the remote reservoirs that are made for the 460/Prado 150.
Make sure you also check out the GXOR page on Facebook. There are a number of 460 owners and vendors on there who are a wealth of knowledge as you are researching modifications.

The Premium model is the way to go. I have a 2015 Premium. The benefit is it has the comfort options for a daily driver like cooled front seats (important here in Texas), adaptive cruise control, parking sensors, blind spot monitoring and navigation standard, but it does not have the failure-prone and difficult to replace air bag suspension found in the Luxury models.
The Premium does not come with multi terrain select or crawl control standard. In fact, in my search I was not able to find any with those options on the local used market. I take mine crawling (moderate level) and have not been in a situation where I felt MTS or crawl control would have been preferred, as the ATRAC system is really great and I prefer controlling speed with gearing and throttle.
I personally did not go with Lexus certified, but mainly because I found a great deal on a very low mile vehicle. The cost difference was significant enough that the CPOs out there didn't make any sense financially. If you get a great deal workout CPO, save the extra money for mods.
For sliders I recommend Metal Tech OPOR. They work well with KDSS, are beefy and slightly angled with a kick-off for good protection crawling, and have a nice step tread pattern on top. I will be posting build threads soon that show these, among my other mods.
If you are considering adding bumpers or winch be aware that there are few solutions for GX460s, especially 2014+. Metal Tech has developed a rear bumper that they should be selling soon, although it is a little more obtrusive than I am looking for. I like the Kaymar solution but they have proven remarkably difficult to contact. Southern Style Offroad has purchased a post-facelift 460, so I assume it is only a matter of time before they have a front bumper solution and they always do very strong and functional designs. I'm a little impatient though and will likely be ordering an arb Safari front bar for the Prado 150 VX/Kakadu this next week, hoping it lines up decently with the front grill and won't result in terrible-looking trim lines. It will hang out in front more than anything from SSO, but they are a well-engineered and proven design. I will be sure to document the process and post the results.
For suspension, I am running Total Chaos upper control arms and Dobinsons MRR shocks/springs all around. I went with the medium duty springs. Even loaded up right now it seems a bit stiff (although my front bar and winch may change that with the added weight), so doing it again I would likely choose the softer springs because it is my daily driver. But bang for your buck the shocks can't be beat for good quality rebuildable remote reservoirs. Contact Kyle Fogle at Treaty Oak Offroad if you are thinking of going in that direction or need more information. I understand they are coming out with adjustable versions in the near future, if they aren't already available. Unless you are really hard-core you don't need remote reservoirs, so the extra expense is not necessary. But the reservoirs do provide better cooling, which is always good in my book and worth the additional money. Kyle can show you other alternatives without the remote reservoirs that are made for the 460/Prado 150.
Make sure you also check out the GXOR page on Facebook. There are a number of 460 owners and vendors on there who are a wealth of knowledge as you are researching modifications.

Wow, thanks for the detailed post. I've yet to see a MY14+ with Active Cruise that *wasn't* a Luxury Trim - so that might be something to look for.

Wow, thanks for the detailed post. I've yet to see a MY14+ with Active Cruise that *wasn't* a Luxury Trim - so that might be something to look for.
That was a misstatement; I have it on another vehicle but never use cruise control so I mistook which vehicle had the option. That is only a feature on Luxury packages:

Driver Support Package (GX 460 Luxury) includes Pre-Collision System (PCS) with Driver Attention Monitor and Dynamic Radar Cruise Control; Lane Departure Alert; and Wide-view Front and Side Camera which is designed to enhance visibility in tight settings, such as parking garages, and to help the driver’s view around corners when pulling out of parking spaces into traffic or stopped at intersections and T-junctions; Crawl Control; Mark Levinson Audio System; Intelligent High Beams; and Navigation with eight-inch touch screen, Bluetooth, and more

You can tell which ones have it because they also have the forward amd side looking cameras. There is another thread in the 150 series forum with some good visuals on this. Note that this option also includes crawl control. Although I would have loved the surround and forward looking cameras that come with that package, I wasn't willing to deal with the Luxury airbag systems at the time. But given how you can now get coil conversion kits for airbag swap when doing a lift, the Luxury model airbags aren't as much of a barrier to modification as they used to be. If adaptive cruise is very important to you, it looks like luxury may be your best bet. Just budget extra for removal of airbag system and conversion kit purchase and install when doing a suspension lift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom