My Super 40 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I finally finished up patching the tub :bounce2: I used 16 guage cuz I rarely blow thru that. I also completed the door sills & tranny hump. I did find out I had to patch a few holes when I removed the factory thermal barrier glued to the top. I had to fab up the base for one of the tranny hump attachment bolts too.
DSC00983.JPG
DSC00984.JPG

Nothing pic worthy yet as I'm working on cutting & repairing fenders & the hood. I'm thinking about cutting the front frame, in front of the motor, in order to keep my ride height low & have some suspension uptravel. I'd flip that cut section 180 deg. to have it raise up & reweld. I don't think I can keep it low w/a triangulated 4 link front, so I'll run a panhard bar.

Wheel Centers

After some thought about welding the centers in the H1 wheels, I decided to bypass the Staz centers. I felt there wasn't enough material on the edges to weld to the wheels. I did think about welding small wedges perpendicular to the centers for more weld contact, but that's too much work. Sooo, I had these other centers laying around & they just needed some lightening & final lug hole reaming. I designed a simple pattern that'd be easy to clean up w/ a grinder.
DSC00985.JPG

Burnt these centers in already & now I'm ready to weld in the rock rings. I still need to finish up grinding down the ridges on the mag runflats & these wheels will be ready for paint. I'll get to the painting later when I nail down a color scheme.
DSC00987.JPG

Skills..........lots o skills:clap: BTW Have you seen The Warthog in the 55 section I think you would like

I'm enjoying your progress and impressed on the wheels

Skills..........lots o skills:clap: BTW Have you seen The Warthog in the 55 section I think you would like

I'm enjoying your progress and impressed on the wheels

Thanks Dave. Yeah, I saw a few pics of that one. Can't wait to see more pics, especially of the portal axles. How about a build thread for your new FJ40???? :D

Onto my update:
In order to keep the ride ht. low, I needed to cut & reform the frame higher for upward axle travel. I burnt in 1/4" wall 2 X 2's for the extensions. I may plate the outside of the frame @ the connection. I'll use the old panhard mount I cut off the other 40. Next, I'll connect the frame back together w/ the same tubing & add braces. This should be plenty stout to handle a 12K winch & the rest of the front assembly.
DSC00991.JPG

Minor update:
First, the frame was totally welded up. Then, I was going to burn in the front crossmember so I got the tub on the frame, aligned everything level & noticed the tub kicked one side of the frame forward :confused: I took all my measurements from the stock crossmember before I cut it off & verified measurements from my '73. I'll reassemble & try aligning everything again when I have permanent garage space dedicated to this build.

Last edited:
I wasn't totally finished modding the cowl & door sills. So, I clearanced both for some tubing I have planned in that area. Those bottom corners of the cowl were in sad shape anyway. On the inner door sills, I left a lip so I can weld in my flooring later on. The small piece of tube is just a prop.
DSC00992.JPG
DSC00993.JPG

Chuck,

what are you using for paint and primer? I forgot to ask

A
Only update to report is I have all body parts but the tub & lower door sills painted. Also painted a bunch of brackets & inner engine bay parts. I'll post up some pics when I get things assembled :bounce:

Chuck,

A

gotta love this guy, he still thinks we all use primer...:flipoff2:

Chuck,

A

Some of the rusted pieces received POR15 & another rust preventative back when I first got it, then Tie Coat Primer, but mostly just 2 - 3 coats of Rustoleum gloss white over sanded down paint. If it was a resto job, I'd take it to metal & fix all the dents, prime & spray. Since this is mostly a trail truck, which'll need a bunch of future touch ups, I went the quickest route & hand painted it :hillbilly:

Hey a lot of guys in the paint and body forum still seem to believe in some sort of primer..... remember primer can mean many things :D

gotta love this guy, he still thinks we all use primer...:flipoff2:

I picked up a couple springs, rubber stops, & connector bolts at Ace. The springs were a direct match. I drilled thru the rubber stops & shaved an indention for the bolt head so it doesn't rub the paint. I welded a washer to one end of each latch pin to capture the spring. All that's left to do is assemble & spot weld the head to the shaft, just as the factory did.

<EDIT> I was moving too fast & didn't assemble the small "L" bracket (the one's that hold the rubber pads) to the latch mech before welding the washer @ the end. So, I just ground down the end (where it sticks out of the latch), slipped that "L" braket over & welded another washer there.
DSC01007.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom