My first paint job (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
^ besides rattle-can stuff.

I'm just using some Valspar products. The primer and black are anti-rust armor. The blue is Ford blue tractor paint. It is the closest cheap paint that I could find to Toyota Electric Blue. It is oil based enamel and no, I am not going to sand and buff it. If I work on it too hard, I will just end up being afraid to scratch it.

Hopefully the doors and hood will be done this weekend. I will also be spraying black bedliner on the bumpers, fenders, sliders, tire carrier, and whatever else isn't already blue or black.

Poorly prepped.

Primed.

Blued.

The next victims.

Good work. I had a fiberglass bed made for my truck and it came shipped in primer. I, figured it was the perfect time to learn how to paint. With a few days on the internet, I knew in theory how to get a truck painted. Bought a HPLV gun, some PPG epoxy primer and catylst, some PPG top coat, supplies and went for it. Like yours, it turned out ok...lets see some pics when you finish it.

That looks great. Fiberglass is the way to go.

The 4runner was green when I bought it and after I got more serious about wheeling, I found some rattle can that was a near perfect match. However, it faded fast and would eventually rub off on anything that touched it. A few years ago, I rolled it over onto a tree and damaged the bed.

So I finally decided to cut out the damage and weld in new sheet metal. Then there is some bondo over that. I didn't sand it as much as I should have, but I hope to revisit the bad spots next year. Right now, I am just trying to stay ahead of the cold weather.

I mainly just hope that this enamel paint holds up to abuse and UV better than the Krylon.

I've used the Dupli-color bed coating in the past with varying levels of success. This time, it was an absolute nightmare. It was wrinkling up and bubbling. I had to scrape most of it off and spray it again. It will have to do until spring when I think I'll scrape it all off and spray Monstaliner on it. I was planning to do the tub at that time anyway. I used Herculiner last time on the tub and most of it has flaked off.

IMG_20131107_213931_zps34e5e78d.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom