MTR on OEM wheels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ809496TLC

80 series addict
Threads
I'm planning to upgrade tires on my 97CE. Discount tires told me that the wheels are too narrow. The tires will be GY MTR 315-75R-16. I saw several guys running these setup. Do you all think it's a little narrow? :confused:

Last edited:
Works fine except that MT/Rs suck :D of course they may be ok on minivans etc. :D

That size tire would be fine on the stock rim.

Junk said:
Works fine except that MT/Rs suck :D of course they may be ok on minivans etc. :D

That size tire would be fine on the stock rim.
:D Hello Junk. I'm going to look around and see who's got the best prices locally. So far discount tires at $238 per wheel + mounting,balancing and stems.

Goodyear states rim width 8 - 10 inches for that tire. That's good enough for me.

General rule for many car tire shops is the rim(8") should be at least 3/4 the sectional width of the tire (12.4"). This may be true for a lower profile tire but doesn't really apply to taller LT tires. I would print them the webpage of Goodyear's "recommended rim widths."

they probably think your stock rims are 7". had a tire shop manager lose that argument with me in front of 4 customers.

running them, no problem...you can see it in my garage or my avitar. Got them at discount a couple of months ago without a problem. Except that they wouldn't mount them with my wheel spacers on. i just told them to mount them without the wheel spacers and added the wheel spacer when I got home..

i run that size w/ no problems as well.

I have those on my stock rims. Work great. Had em that way for 3 summers.
Cheers,
Sean

not a problem. they'll fit just fine.

the guys at my discount tires (america's tire co) didn't have a problem with it.

No problem fitting the tire, but I agree with Junk - skip the MTR's. If it doesn't say INTERCO on the sidewall it's an all-terrain!

Lance
www.ironpigoffroad.com
1122.jpg
1123.jpg

Thanks to all! All I need to do now is wait till it goes on sale. :D

FJ809496TLC said:
Let me guess....Swampers? :rolleyes: :D

Or 3 foot IROK's for city slickers such as myself . ;)

TY

I've had MTRs on stock rims for over 3 years. Right now I run 315/16/75. Can say anything but good things about them. The rims are wide enough.

Alvaro

It's called editing early in the morning...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom