Mr Buddy or Coleman heater high altitude? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone ever use a Mr Buddy or Coleman tent heater at altitudes near or above 9-11k? I'm wondering how well they work at that altitude.

The Mr Buddy website recommends to use the heater below 7k.

I did some digging and it sounds like it's hit or miss the higher you go. Most people seem to be fine under 9k elevation but over 10k and people start to have issues.

There are two problems: 1- there starts to become pressure issues with the propane because of the thin air, this also happens to propane stoves at this altitude. 2- the oxygen sensor picks up lower amounts of oxygen due to the thinner air and it shuts off.

Third problem, not altitude related, is that I've read many accounts of people dying in their tent in the middle of the night due to leaving a heater on all night long. Seems like evening before bed and mornings would be the only times you'd really want to use it.

I have used a stove at 11k with no issues.....
Im on the fence about a heater for the RTT...
If I get one it would be as you stated to use for a few min before bed time and getting out of the sleeping bag...
I got a -20F sleeping bag for those cold nights.... so far Im happy....

Sleeping in an enclosed space with any gas burning device is dangerous!

My experience with propane above 8K feet is poor. When you go above 10K, I think you will have problems.

I went back to Liquid (Coleman) fuel stove, lantern, etc. for this reason when camping at elevation. But some propane devices work better than others, so you may get lucky.

A family we know has a cabin located at 9600' near Bridgeport and use propane, but their neighbor uses old liquid fuel catalytic type heaters?

If you have room, bring both types! If not, propane will work, but expect lower performance.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom