MPG on a 4wd FJ ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am already a 200 owner. MY GF drives the 200 during the week. I was looking at a new daily driver for me and stumbled upon an FJ with a 6 speed and 4wd. What kind of mileage can I expect ? Any issues I should look for ? Does it require premium ? Amy desirable options to look for if I want an FJ ? TIA

Does not require premium, though early model brochures and the sticker in the fuel door said so. Advertised MPGs was something like 18/21, but count on something less, especially if you add tires, armor, etc.

Mine is heavily weighed down and I'm around 12.5/16.

Thanks. This will probably join my series 200 in the fleet.

16-17 mpg in town and 20-22 highway (2007 FJ cruiser automatic 4x4). I’m in heavy traffic.... it takes me 15 mins to go 3-4 miles most days.

I record every fill up. Amazing vehicles, you won’t be disappointed. I’m a guy that swaps cars constantly and I’ve has this FJ for a year with no plans to ever sell it.

16-17 mpg in town and 20-22 highway (2007 FJ cruiser automatic 4x4). I’m in heavy traffic.... it takes me 15 mins to go 3-4 miles most days.

I record every fill up. Amazing vehicles, you won’t be disappointed. I’m a guy that swaps cars constantly and I’ve has this FJ for a year with no plans to ever sell it.
Perhaps it's worthy of adding to your signature then...;)
1987 FJ60, SOA, 35s, 4:88 gears, H55F, SROR rear bumper with swing out tire/ladder, ARB roof rack, desmogged, non-u.s. carb.

Thanks guys. I am looking for a 6 speed version

Mine is an AT, but with 33's and all armored up its about 13/16. Stock i think it was closer to 15/18 or better. The manual should be a little better.
Try and get a 2010 or newer, they fixed some issues and it got the newer, more powerful engine.

. The manual should be a little better.

Not true. The manual trans is full time 4 wheel drive unlike the autos. The EPA rates the manual lower and it is in real life. And unlike the old days modern automatics are often more efficient than the manual trans counterpart - although manual transmission are all but extinct in 2019.

I beat on my 2008 6-speed because it's so much fun to drive. Also lots of short trips. I get 14-17 but like I said driving it hard.

Not true. The manual trans is full time 4 wheel drive unlike the autos. The EPA rates the manual lower and it is in real life.

Well, there ya go, I done learnt something new!
Don't the autos in FJs still have torque converters though? I thought that was where the inefficiency came from in older automatic transmissions...

Any modern auto magnetically locks up the
TC once in high gear so there is zero slippage. Pretty cool.

I don't know 100% certain but I can't believe it doesn't. The auto in the late 80s FJ62 has TC lockup.

Any features that are must haves ?

If you plan to off-road the truck, the factory rear locker is a good head start. If it comes with that, then A-Trac is next feature to look for. If it has the factory rear locker, but not the A-trac switch on the dash, don't worry - you can add a $40 switch because the A-trac technology is already in place. The wiring harness behind the console is already there, you just pull the blank from the dash and plug in the switch.

After that, power windows/mirrors is a basic upgrade package (CQ on dealer label).

Many go with aftermarket stereo systems. Also, plenty of options to armor up your FJC for the trails. Tires and lift options abound (plenty of discussions in this forum about it).

After that, power windows/mirrors is a basic upgrade package (CQ on dealer label).

Didn't know there was a non-power option. Cool.

I don't know the trim level or code for my truck. It's a 2008 manual trans with pretty much every option that was available. The manual trans came with full time 4 wheel drive, with a lockable limited slip transfer case. Mine also has a limited slip front diff and the e-locker in the rear. And yeah Atrac, upgrade stereo with sub-woofer, the 120V outlet in the back. I think it was the ultimate package at the time. When it came up for sale with low miles I jumped on it for asking price. Glad I did.

Didn't know there was a non-power option. Cool.

I don't know the trim level or code for my truck. It's a 2008 manual trans with pretty much every option that was available. The manual trans came with full time 4 wheel drive, with a lockable limited slip transfer case. Mine also has a limited slip front diff and the e-locker in the rear. And yeah Atrac, upgrade stereo with sub-woofer, the 120V outlet in the back. I think it was the ultimate package at the time. When it came up for sale with low miles I jumped on it for asking price. Glad I did.
There was the option, but not many were sent here - probably rarer than the Black Cherry 2007 model. The non power ones don't have the lights on the side mirrors either which is the big tell-tale sign. I've even seen one that didn't have tinted rear quarter/back gate windows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom