MPG diesel 13b engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
:steer:What kind of gas mileage can be expected from a bj42 with a 4cyl 13b engie? On average?

I doubt anyone here has a BJ42 with a 13B, thats a non-stock engine.

The stock engine, 3B, gets about 21mpg (US) in town, and more on the highway.

Fuel Mileage

Funny you should ask, I just figured my mileage an hr ago.I have a 1981 BJ42 with a 3B engine .I am getting 28 mpg mostly around town ,no highway driving ,ie not over 80 kpm . I have 220,000 km's on the clock and the engine runs very well.Just cahnged oil and all filters.

Thanks.
It is a 3b engine I was asking about, my shaky hands and all.
Is it possible to get 30mpg from an old diesel cruiser?

I actually have a 13b in my 79 Aussie 40. I am getting around 23 mpg with Mixed driving. I am not heavy on the skinny pedal but I could be better. That 23mpg is running b-99 bio. Just in case that matters to you.

I actually have a 13b in my 79 Aussie 40. I am getting around 23 mpg with Mixed driving. I am not heavy on the skinny pedal but I could be better. That 23mpg is running b-99 bio. Just in case that matters to you.

To be precise, are you quoting US gallons or Imperial gallons?

We have this problem all the time in the diesel forum, but it seems like the consensus is that reports of 30 or higher mpg are always in imperial gallons (which equates to 25-26 mpg US)

I don't think 30mpg US is realistic... you can get close, but not quite there.

Hey Joe Egolf, I haven't had to fill the tank up yet

Then again, I wish the thing would get here already. Still on a slow boat from New Zealand.

Anticipation....:rolleyes:

P.S. - You know there is a Diesel and an alternative fuels section where this question might get better responses?

Best,

T

Last edited:
Just over 20 (US) was what I was getting when I first got my '81 BJ42. Maybe with stock 29" tires, no top, overdrive, and a light foot you could approach mid- to upper-20s? You have weight and no aerodynamics working against you.

Come to think of it, the '82 got about 20 +/- 2mpg crossing the US one winter, stockish snow tires, 4spd, loaded with tools and extra fluids. I remember a constant headwind one day along the Great Lakes and it still got 19.

3b mpg

It's easy to ask the internet to convert your km's to miles and figure your mileage. The only real trip I have taken -from here [Ct .]to poor Wallys [Bennington Vt, to ]eastern vt. and then to Ct ,I got 26 mpg . 1981 BJ42 / 3B

I am quoting us gallons. Not imperial gallons. 23-25 is about my max. i havent done any long road trips with he cruiser yet, but will report back after I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom