1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mounting Closet Rack

Discussion in 'Camping & Outdoor Gear' started by MarkReye1, Feb 28, 2007.

1. MarkReye1

MarkReye1

Hi all,

I have finally set up my sleep platform in my truck. I have a closet rack and need some mounting tips. I do not want to use a conventional mounting brackets because they take too much room.

Any help will be great.

Thanks,

Mark

2. sirenmoses

sirenmoses

closet rack? something designed specifically for us, or a walmart/target etc type deal? a wagon, yes? mo info por favor...

3. MarkReye1

MarkReye1

Hi,

My bro-in-law was tossing out the closet wire rack that people have in their closets. I have a 1990 Toy 4x4 PU and I wanted to mount this rack to turn it into a shelf. The plan is to flip it upside down, so stuff will not fall while moving around inside the camper shell.

Thanks,

Mark

4. sirenmoses

sirenmoses

oh, got it. guessing mount parallel to axles? behind p/up cab or near camper door?

how bout 1x2 screwed to shell, w/notches to keep rack in place? or 1x2 uprights holding 2x4 w/cutout for wire racking? that would need feet.

my .02... HTH

5. MarkReye1

MarkReye1

Hi,

I would like to put it behind the cab if possible. I saw a link where someone had cabinets near the tailgate and he bolted the rack to the top of both cabinets. However, I have the spare tire in the back as I cut my sleep platform to have it inside for now. I will take pictures of what I have. It looks sharp so far.

Mark

6. 2mbb

2mbb SILVER Star

I think if you're going to be driving with stuff on the shelf, it still might fall off, even with the shelf upside down. You might think about some sort of net to cover the shelf, or forget about the shelf and just string a cargo net across the back of the camper:

http://www.cargogear.com/Nets/CargoNets.htm

7. rusty_tlc

rusty_tlc Dain Bramaged Member

Media:
    Albums:
  8. MarkReye1

MarkReye1

Hi,

I really wanted the shelf to hold stuff when Im stationary, not while driving.

Thanks for the tips.

Mark