mounting a winch on an arb winch bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, I am not particularly asking for advice on the type of winch brand to buy, (my budget, frequency of use, and feedback already steered me to the harbor freight winch)

What else would I need besides the HF 10K pnd. winch for mounting it on my 80 series ARB winch bumper? Do I need a channel winch mount for example?

I'm pretty sure that the 10k HF winch is mounted on the same bolt pattern as Warn and most other similar planetary winches. The holes in the bumper allows you to bolt it on.

However, the winch is probably too long to fit in the "prow" of the winch mount. You'll need spacers between the bumper and the winch to move the winch back far enough so it sits properly. These can be homemade or you can get an ARB kit (designated for the M8000, but works for any other similar winch) that has the spacers in it. They are basically 3/8" thick steel with two holes in each that fit under the legs of each side of the winch.

thanks, lets see what others have to say about the spacers...

basically, I don't need to pick up the HF universal winch plate...when the spacers will do....

I'm pretty sure that the 10k HF winch is mounted on the same bolt pattern as Warn and most other similar planetary winches. The holes in the bumper allows you to bolt it on.

However, the winch is probably too long to fit in the "prow" of the winch mount. You'll need spacers between the bumper and the winch to move the winch back far enough so it sits properly. These can be homemade or you can get an ARB kit (designated for the M8000, but works for any other similar winch) that has the spacers in it. They are basically 3/8" thick steel with two holes in each that fit under the legs of each side of the winch.

James,
Correct. The winch mount that is designed into the ARB is feet first. It needs no other support when done properly.

I have heard of people mounting winches behind the ARB on a mount that could be done from the HF or other mfgs winch plate. This could be done with the non-winch ARB or to mount a winch without needing to use the spacers by bolting through it with the fasteners that attach the recovery hooks onto the frame and are used to bolt through the ARB. This would provide a feet-down mounting instead, if that was desired as an option for some reason.

Just FYI, as I'm still working on wiring on the winch and a dual-battery system, so I haven't done a write up on it yet...

I installed my XRC12 feet forward. To get the clutch handle and the wiring studs where I wanted them, I clocked the winch as needed.

I dug out the ARB number for the spacer kit: 3500050

I used both spacers, plus 2 washers under the feet on each bolt to gain more width in mounting it into the nose of the ARB to fit the XRC12. This was close, but I still needed to grind a small relief on the PS angle to allow the top corner of the winch motor to clear it. I could have used more spacers and longer bolts and avoided the need to grind, but this did not seem advisable.

I believe that the XRC10 is very close in size to the XRC12, so you will face something very similar once you size things up.

Also, the roller fairlead provided with the XRC is slightly different than the Warn fairlead that the ARB was originally designed for. To fit it up to the bolt holes properly, you will need to grind some on the top part of the fairlead bracket. A little work and it will snuggle in under the fairlead lip of the ARB, aligning things to mount up and bolt it in the right place to feed the cable properly through the feet-first winch mounting of the ARB. Pretty obvious where this is needed once you size things up on this.

Last edited:
Thanks Mike. I would imagine I only need to order one kit. Looking forward to reading your write up.

"Just FYI, as I'm still working on wiring on the winch and a dual-battery system, so I haven't done a write up on it yet..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom