Mountain bike guys...front shock/fork question... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wesintl said:
Most of the guys racing are 150# with mud and wet :D
Nancy-boys!

:D

RockShox needs a new branch of the company...FatShox or something like that, targetting the Walmart/obese crowd... :D

Mark --

I've been riding a hardtail with a Judy SL 100mm for about 6 years now. I ride it on paved lakefront paths as well as stuff like Palos and Kettle Moraine (that's real mtn. biking for us flatlanders) and I've loved it. I weigh about 180lbs. and ride it pretty hard. I haven't noticed much lateral flex or brake dive cause the preload of my fat arse leaning down on the bars makes the travel closer to 80mm while riding. My frame is a Kona spec'd generic frame designed for a longer-travel shock. Before I got my Judy SL I rode it with a Judy XC and to be honest I didn't notice much difference. I also paid WAY more than the pricepoint price 6 years ago. For $120, go with the SL and you'll be quite happy. Even though some of the more expensive brands might be slightly laterally stiffer, at 245 lbs it won't matter much. These bikes are engineered for the average rider (160-190lbs.) anyway.

My .02

Rob

I guess it's now a mute point, but when I built my bike in 97-98, I went from an indy to a Judy XC also, and immediately noticed the flex, which to me felt like slop. Hated it, but eventually got used to it. Don't know if the newer/longer forks have stiffened up, but I don't ever see a need for more than 80 (actually, 60 was fine--just wanted to upgrade).

I've got around 80 in the rear on a 96 DB V-Link Pro, and the combination feels o.k., but I don't like the breaking tension for air shocks. Would rather have spring/elastomer. Actually, my next build will be a hardtail anyway.

Good luck!
--Eddie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom