More Whining... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't know what to tell you evan. I counted the pumps until the slip joint started to move and thats what I got. Using a Lincoln 1143.

I wasn't doubting your ability to count. More just wondering if somehow your shafts we're almost completely dry or close to it (I've never filled mine after a rebuild).

Sounds like it's easily a diff in grease guns. The couple times I've done mine it was just to make sure they're still full and while I didn't keep count I'm pretty sure it was under 10.

Never realized they were all that different.

could be worn ring and pinion. Just happened on my trooper. swapped the rear third member and noise is gone. pulling the third member isn't too hard and you could take it to a shop that does gears and see. Also, to determine if its front or rear, pull the drive shafts individually and lock the center diff (if you did the 7 pin mod) and drive it around to see if it is the front or rear

Steelman ChassisEar make for quick troubleshooting for these noises.

With a wheeling rig there are always lottle noises after a hard wheeling session. After years of guessing I finally picked up the kit. Best way to narrow down those noises in a fraction of the time.

Just a small update...I've avoided pulling the driveshafts due to time and work constraints, so I did the simple stuff first. As recommended by kernal, I replaced the PCV valve and associated hoses (Wit's End kit) which were pretty old and the rubber grommet was as hard as plastic. The whine is still there, but about 1/2 as loud and it is no longer associated with pressing on the gas. I do notice it appearing at a lower speed now (around 50mph), but it is not as loud as I approach 70mph.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I can live with the noise now and will just drive it.

Fuel pump? Mine makes an annoying whine, right at the edge of hearing, that changes as it moves more fuel. Sounds like I have a mini turbo.
have some one else drive while you sit in the back, see if its louder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom