More Power for 22R (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2RZ/3RZ or the 3.4L is where its at right now, the 4 bangers are harder to come by cheaply because they are sought after and the v6 is a pricey commodity too. Then there's the wiring and so far I havent seen a 'kit' or 'fix' to reuse the tach.

Price vs bang for the buck is the 4.3L Vortech, plenty of adaptor and mounts + it fits without too much hacking up of the truck. But plan to rebuild ANY donor motors and if wiring is too big of a deal- slap a carb on it!

The 7MG(T)E and its older cousin the 5MGE are great too, but cost and availability of parts is an issue these days-this will bolt into the stock mounts using the 5M motor mounts- uses a W series trans too - but is longer and you will have to somehow relocate the radiator to use OEM style fans...And then there's the wiring...

Or you can always boost your 22R(E) and get sorta 2RZ power or 5MG range if you build up your current motor and put boost to it, OEM turbos available and aftermarket superchargers too.

BUT gears will make the best out of your current situation. Big tires and 4.10's SUCK! 31x10.5s on a 2WD with 4.88's+84 22R+ W58- worked GREAT! 32x11.5's on 4x4 with 22RE (high miles) and 4.88's = marginal. I put the 31x10.5's on th e4x4 from the earlier truck and now I dont have to drive the freeway in 5th!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom