Moose: The FJ55 project who still identifies as a Pig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,

I had introduced "Moose" on the Pig preservation forum when I first acquired him. But as I get deeper into the work it is growing more out of the box. Not fitting for those out to preserve. It is really to far gone to try and go full restore. The rust is formidable and the missing or destroyed parts is overwhelming. So I am cataloging my build here. Seems to be more appropriate.
In short: I answered a posting on 'Mud to pick a free FJ55 in the fields of South Alabama. I was lucky to be the first to respond and in a couple of days I was on my way down to get him. This is how he looked:
FJ55 First look.jpeg

IMG_0109.JPG

I got him loaded on the trailer and headed to home... After a quick visit to Buc-cee's.
IMG_0112.JPG

Once home I pressure washed and began repairing as much as the body as I could. Started to look decent:
IMG_0115.JPG

IMG_0147.JPG

Interior:

The inside was trashed. A few critters had made it is home and treated it like a large toilet.
IMG_0118.JPG

I quickly pulled everything out. Patched the rust holes and put down truck bed coating with added heat/ sound additive and later covered with 50 mil sound deadening mat:
IMG_0146.JPG

For seats. I wanted something comfortable, cloth and black. Turns out Scion XB seats were designed with FJ55's in mind. Rear seat was almost identical:
IMG_0194.JPG

And fit in quite nicely using the stock mounts so it still folds down flat:
IMG_0209.JPG

The front seats fit in as the should and make for very comfortable driving seats. Center console is still in the works. I have some ideas...

The wire throughout Moose was chewed up pretty good from the critters so I could not get the Ol' F to fire up. However it did crank. So I went ahead and re-wired the entire ignition including ignition switch, fuse box and all associated wiring:

Fuse.JPG

Need to have a lot of spots for fuses for what would be coming...

Not quite hardcore yet. I know. But some of the rust repairs have been horrendous. The B pillar on the drivers side was completely loose. Only hanging on by a little steel connected to the roof. So rebuilding that with the rocker panels:
IMG_0262.JPG

IMG_0577[1].JPG

Although I am hopeful that the F engine will fire up (currently waiting on a new coil to arrive) I plan to swap out the engine and perhaps axles if the new drive train requires.

As far as the plan for the new heart... Well... I am researching and debating between a few options from what others have done to "What in the world!"

More to come....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom