Monache Meadows (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys and long time no talk....Hope everyone is well. I moved onto a 100 so haven’t been here much but coming back looking for some guidance as i recall a number of members were big Monache Meadows fans. I have finally gotten some time off and plan to take a week off at the end of the month. Was planning on remote camping up 395 (which we have done many times and is awesome) but looking to change things up a bit. I haven’t been to Monache and everything i see and read about it looks awesome. So thought i would ping the group and see if i can get help with trail suggestions as well as any amazing campsites you may recommend. I will be in a built 100 pulling a SoCal teardrop trailer.

Thank you all in advance and hope everyone has a great and safe 4th!
Sean

Hi Sean,
I just returned from Monache Meadows! It was just a short overnight trip on my way home from Mammoth. It was beautiful! I posted a pic on IG, and one person commented that when he was there recently it was a zoo. We went in Sunday afternoon (and, coincidentally, saw a group of Toyotas that included several 100 Series that was coming out). It wasn't crowded for us, though we weren't alone. Maybe because it was the beginning of the week?

Your truck, and trailer (with good ground clearance), should be fine on this trip. As far as trail suggestions, it's pretty much one-way in and one-way out. There are a few trail offshoots that either lead to vistas or wild camp spots. It's not like it was 35 years ago (my first trip there), with a network of trails meandering through the meadow.

Call the Blackrock Ranger Station before you head out there. While we were there a huge tree blew down in high winds, and it's now blocking the trail. People have since driven around it, but that's not a Tread Lightly move... I don't know if the rangers will remove the tree, or use it as an excuse to close the trail.

Best wishes,

JR

PS - You might want to check out the SoCal TLCA Clubhouse page (I think it's right below this one). We have a meeting coming up this Sunday afternoon, and will be finalizing details for a Big Bear area trip next week, with either day run or overnight camping options.

Hi Sean,
I just returned from Monache Meadows! It was just a short overnight trip on my way home from Mammoth. It was beautiful! I posted a pic on IG, and one person commented that when he was there recently it was a zoo. We went in Sunday afternoon (and, coincidentally, saw a group of Toyotas that included several 100 Series that was coming out). It wasn't crowded for us, though we weren't alone. Maybe because it was the beginning of the week?

Your truck, and trailer (with good ground clearance), should be fine on this trip. As far as trail suggestions, it's pretty much one-way in and one-way out. There are a few trail offshoots that either lead to vistas or wild camp spots. It's not like it was 35 years ago (my first trip there), with a network of trails meandering through the meadow.

Call the Blackrock Ranger Station before you head out there. While we were there a huge tree blew down in high winds, and it's now blocking the trail. People have since driven around it, but that's not a Tread Lightly move... I don't know if the rangers will remove the tree, or use it as an excuse to close the trail.

Best wishes,

JR

PS - You might want to check out the SoCal TLCA Clubhouse page (I think it's right below this one). We have a meeting coming up this Sunday afternoon, and will be finalizing details for a Big Bear area trip next week, with either day run or overnight camping options.
Thank you for the heads up. I have Saturday to Sunday off so really hoping to take advantage of it. Thinking maybe going to Monache mon- wed then maybe up to coyote flats or north to the mammoth area if Monache gets too packed.

anyone have any suggestions for remote campsites up 395 and out of the Owens Valley heat?

Just saw this, but hope you didn't go. We got back on the 3rd, and it was awesome but TONS of people were coming in for the weekend. The most i've ever seen. There is no way there are enough campsites, as most were already full when we were there.
I would hate to be there this weekend.

The tree is still blocking, and everyone is going around. Very minor trail diversion, just around the end of the fallen tree.

If you go Mon-Wed it shouldn't be nearly as crowded. I've been all the way back to the river campsites several times when I had my trailer. Not a problem at all. Love it up there!

Thank you all! We are planning on heading up at the end of the month so we are still evaluating locations but it sounds like everything now is packed due to closures and restrictions....

Was up for 3 days end of June, it is awesome and frankly I think you'll be fine by end of month re: people. As @DirtyRice Joe said its basically one way in and out. You can take the Sherman pass road from the 395 up through Kennedy meadow, which also happens to be a good refuel/restock point (pro tip: if the BBQ at the PCT weigh station is open, eat there). As mentioned you'll turn right at the Black Rock Ranger station road (21S03) go past it for about ~ 3 miles and the turn out is on the right. You'll likely see people airing down and up. Make sure you stay left on 20S022 and don't go down the dirt road marked 20S022A which goes to a private property (I learned this the hard way my first time years ago). From there its a straight shot into the meadow, there will be many campsites available on the way in to the meadow so log them in case it is as crowded as mentioned. The hardest stretch wheelin' wise is the first 20 mins once dirt and it is relatively easy, I only went 4lo on the way up. Couple of rocks/granite that are fun and definitely will get your attention on the way out. Your camper should be fine, I saw a stock RAV4 and I think a QR3 up in the meadow. The best campsites are the river sites at the end of the meadow (just follow the signs that say riverfront sites), but those are likely taken unless you go mid week. The next best ones are any side road once in the meadow that say "dead end". You'll likely find a little patch next to where a private property starts that you can stake as you own. I also heard from some people you can go across the Kern and into the trees to the east for seclusion. Just be cautious of wilderness areas. Fishing was flies only, and the natives spook easy. A lot of 8-10 inchers though. Gonna try Tenkara next time I am up there. One final word of caution, it has always been readily apparent to me that people drink and drive up there as they fully display their beer cans while passing. Give a wide berth.

Thank you for the update!!!

I'm sure it will be clear now that the holiday weekend is over. We were grateful to be a leaving as the crazyness started to roll in.
It's not a tough trail but it still surprises me the suv's that make it through there...

@SoCal_80 - you still got your trip planned? Wanted to keep an eye on this and see how it went. Been planning a midweek-er up there as well, avoid the very apparent YouTube and Instagram crowds.

@SoCal_80 - you still got your trip planned? Wanted to keep an eye on this and see how it went. Been planning a midweek-er up there as well, avoid the very apparent YouTube and Instagram crowds.
I just got back from Monache Meadows this past Sunday evening. The South Fork of the Kern River is still flowing, but not too heavy. The water crossings were only about hub height, though there are a few deeper pools if you want to take a dip. There are quite a few fish there (I was just fooling around, and caught a nice little Golden Trout on my 3rd cast).

While we weren’t alone by any means, I wouldn’t say it was overly crowded. I don’t think you’ll have any trouble finding a nice campsite. My group of 3 vehicles arrived on the Wednesday prior, and we had our choice of several nice campsites. I did notice that as we got closer to the weekend more folks were coming in on the trail. SoCal TLCA is going up for a club run/camping trip August 7-9, if you'd like to join us. See the thread on our Clubhouse page.

Best wishes,
Joe

Oops

I just got back from Monache Meadows this past Sunday evening. The South Fork of the Kern River is still flowing, but not too heavy. The water crossings were only about hub height, though there are a few deeper pools if you want to take a dip. There are quite a few fish there (I was just fooling around, and caught a nice little Golden Trout on my 3rd cast).

While we weren’t alone by any means, I wouldn’t say it was overly crowded. I don’t think you’ll have any trouble finding a nice campsite. My group of 3 vehicles arrived on the Wednesday prior, and we had our choice of several nice campsites. I did notice that as we got closer to the weekend more folks were coming in on the trail. SoCal TLCA is going up for a club run/camping trip August 7-9, if you'd like to join us. See the thread on our Clubhouse page.

Best wishes,
Joe
Got that 54mm nut off and rotors replaced ok then?

Was up there the last week of June and had a great trip. Arrived on Sunday and it was still a little crowded from the weekend but we were able to snag the last camping site at the far end next to the river.

One thing to check is whether you can have a campfire. When I went ALL campfires were forbidden in the National Forest so we abided by the rules since the fine is up to $1,000. However, just about all of the other campsites had a fire at night. On the way out we passed a ranger coming in to check everything out.

Got that 54mm nut off and rotors replaced ok then?
Hi Brent,

Yes, a buddy with a good impact wrench and the right experience got it done for me. I can’t believe how much better it drives. I had gotten used to a little shake (that started getting bigger!) in the steering wheel, but now it’s totally gone. Thank you so much for the use of your hub socket! Can I return it to you later today?

Was up there the last week of June and had a great trip. Arrived on Sunday and it was still a little crowded from the weekend but we were able to snag the last camping site at the far end next to the river.

One thing to check is whether you can have a campfire. When I went ALL campfires were forbidden in the National Forest so we abided by the rules since the fine is up to $1,000. However, just about all of the other campsites had a fire at night. On the way out we passed a ranger coming in to check everything out.
Yeah we saw the “No campfire” signs, but agreed to split the fine 3 ways, if it came to that. On our third night, we had a small, well controlled fire going. The Ranger drove up, and we thought, “Yikes!”. He chatted with us a bit, and then drove off without even mentioning the fire. You can imagine how relieved we were! I think our ages (50’s to 60’s), and the size of the fire were factors, but we’ll never know - I sure wasn’t going to ask!

I got a fire permit, and they allow camp fires at MM. I believe below 6k feet it's not allowed, or something to that effect.
We had a campfire as well

Hi Brent,

Yes, a buddy with a good impact wrench and the right experience got it done for me. I can’t believe how much better it drives. I had gotten used to a little shake (that started getting bigger!) in the steering wheel, but now it’s totally gone. Thank you so much for the use of your hub socket! Can I return it to you later today?
Any time you are nearby. No need for a special trip over here! Glad it all worked out and the truck is right again!!

It really depends on what you want to do.

Do you want to get away from the crowds? Do you you want to run some trails?

I'm up and down 395 a dozen or so times a year. You'd have to go up to Bridgeport to get away from the crowds.

If you're intersted, pm me and I can give you a good idea on where to go.

Hi Sean,

Best wishes,

JR

I’m planning to head out in September, the lift I want is back ordered, is a stock LC200 have enough clearance? I’ve seen everything from need at least a leveling kit to a guy drove a stock RAV4 out and did the river crossings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom