Moab 2015 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A few of us have been in the planning stages of a trek out to Moab in 2015... We have a couple of dates down on the list. Some of us are pretty limited as far as dates go, due to work/family commitments/2015 Razorback Ramble.

So far, it is looking like the week of 4/18-4/25 is winning.

We are talking about going through vrbo.com to find accommodations, though we will camp one night on the White Rim Trail (80+ miles).

Just wanted to put this out there to see if there was any serious interest in this trip. Unless something changes, we are planning on driving our rigs out and back. Obviously, this means we won't be getting carried away with trail difficulty.

Right now, the list of 100% committed people consists of:
Lance
Josh
Jonathan
Andrew

Post up and discuss...

Lance

I have serious interest. If the cruiser is not ready for the long haul by then I have the Jeep as a backup.

I'm definitely interested. Can't commit 100% as of yet, but put me on the tentative list.

Is this a wheel for a week plus driving days, or just a full week on the road? I guess I could look online to learn more about Moab, but any info that can be shared would be great. Didn't Jonathan go out there a year ago? Maybe this would be a good topic for one of the meetings. I would like to make a trip like this, but need to check several things before I could commit?

We're probably going to use the weekends for driving and try and spend a week out there (or at least 4 solid days). I'd like to be back home late Saturday so I can use Sunday to rest up.

The plan is to leave out early the morning of 4/18 and drive as far as we can (hoping Albuquerque) but that might be ambitious in our rigs. Make it the rest of the way to Moab on Sunday. Wheel Monday-Thursday/Friday and come back either Friday/Saturday... I am probably going to end up taking that next Monday (6 total vacation days) off to make sure I have a couple of days to recover...

The reason we have been/are talking about it this far out is to make plans and prepare...

Yes, I went last year and had a blast! I also learned a great deal. I would like to add to Lance's first post that you will probably want as a minimum skids, sliders, bumpers, 33s, and a rear locker for the type of trails we will be running. Front locker won't be necessary (I don't have one). Also, a selectable rear locker is highly preferrable, because the rocks in Moab are like driving on asphalt covered in sand paper. Spare parts are also nice to have as the O'Reillys in town doesn't stock a lot of Toyota parts. There is an offroad shop or two in town as well. (We had a guy get a driveshaft made in a couple of hours last year)

We have been trying to have a meeting on this topic, just haven't done it. I should be at the meeting this Thursday if anyone has any questions that Lance or me could answer.

Also, I will more than likely be either going a few days sooner or leaving a few days later, if anyone wants to get any extra wheeling in. I won't know for sure whether I'll be there early or late until it gets a little closer, though.

Last edited:
So...$ wise, what would it take to make a comfortable-week long Moab trip. I know it's realative...but I need to budget.

Jonathan can probably chime in here and answer this better than I can, since he has been.

The main expense will most certainly be gas. It is somewhere around 1,200 miles one way... I am personally going to budget somewhere between 600-700 just for gas in my rig, unless I can come up with a trailer solution (which could be more $$). I think we can find a reasonably priced place to stay through vrbo.com. I am planning at least $1k for the whole trip.

Yeah, I would budget for gas to get there, plus probably 1/2 a tank a day for wheeling. For food, there are a couple of local grocery stores, so we just went that route. There are some nice local restaurants too, if you want to do that. Other than that, it will be where you stay. I think some of us are thinking of renting a house like Lance said. I'm good with whatever. I stayed in a tent at Area BFE last year which is free camping.

My best guess for myself is around $1200 for the trip.

I am finding some sweet places for reasonable prices... Like potentially $200 a person for the whole week... I would like to stay clean and rested since we will be wheelin hard every day...

s***, I'd tent camp all week.. but I know some of you guys are high maintenance ;)

Hoping to save a good chunk of cash from our honeymoon fund. I just gotta talk Lauren into letting me put some aside for myself. I'm also trying to find a daily driver to keep from me beating this truck into the ground too early. That should help me save gas over time and make me feel better about driving the 4Runner there. Also, I'm going to look into the possibility of getting a few rigs at least trailered down there. I have to ask a couple people I know with big truck CDL's what kind of cost we'd be looking at and how man rigs can be on one trailer. As of now, I'm a maybe. Lauren and I have a lot going on for the next couple years, including the possibility of moving out of state shortly after she's done with school (mid May). So, you guys understand that life stuff comes before play. Anyways, I wont know more till the end of the year/beginning of next year.

Last edited:
It's approx 1200 miles 1 way from my place... I know for a fact that the farther west you go the more gas seems to cost... My tow rig gets around 10 MPG so 240 gallons of gas to get to Moab and back I would budget fuel at $4 a gallon... My .02

^Yep, everyone should know your own gas needs, so plan accordingly.
And, we have talked about trailering a few rigs before, just not sure it's feasible, unless somebody has a hookup. If we do that, I'm sure some would still have to drive to carry the folks that are being trailered (I will be driving my rig regardless).

Guys let me know if ya’ll would have an opening for a 4Runner to tag along. We could use the bed of my ¾” pull truck to carry the spare parts for the trip or the front of my trailer to strap stuff down (4Runner or pull truck they both get the same mileage on the road, just as well drive the pull truck) I am seriously interested in making a trip out to Moab, and can turn in vacation request this week at work to cover it. Talk it over and let me know, either way it goes it's all good.

Albert, we would love to have you come along. Would you prefer to stay in your camper?

:bounce::steer: If its just guys making the trip, I'll bring the 4Runner, me and the 20' double axle trailer (extra room if spare parts needed to be carried for other vehicles) . If wives and children are coming I'll haul the camper. Let me know if anyone needs to source spare parts, tires, etc. I can look down here to help out. (our Pull A Part sometimes get 4Runners, Taco, etc.)

Thanks for sharing the info, John! We will add it to our list of possibilities...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom