Moab 2013 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
We talked a little about doing a club trip to Moab at the meeting last night.
Keith suggested the idea and also suggested that we might want to start planning the trip for 2013 because of the logistic involved.
Post up here with suggestions and ideas.

Hauling Cruisers

One of the ideas we kicked around was ways to trailer rigs out there. I think everyone with an open top FJ40 would be interested in this idea.

Ray has a diesel that can haul a goose neck with a few rigs. We may be able to recruit some other trucks/trailers for the trip.

I was thinking about looking into renting a semi with a low boy which should haul a fair number of rigs. We would need to put a pencil to it and figure out if it made sense $$$ wise after rental fees and fuel. Since we would need to recruit Joe (and his CDL) to drive for us it may mean letting him tag along with his Jeep. :rolleyes:

That was a GREAT IDEA for the hauler!!!
I'd be very interested to see how that comes out financially!!
On the topic of getting the planning started now... Were about a year away from when we would tentatively be going... It's a big trip, so I just wanted to get it in everyone's brains to start thinking about it.
It's just one of those trails for me, that I really have wanted to run!!! I'm excited about it!!

Moab is actually a collection of trails with something for everyone. I did Hells Revenge in my 100 so even a basically stock LC, FJC, or truck can find something to do there.

When the time gets closer we can plan out which trails everyone wants to do and make some kind of schedule. I'm thinking we will do a mix of trails maybe even split the built rigs off from the rigs that are more stock for the day then meet back up in camp or at a restaurant.

Hotels are available for those who don't want to camp, but camping is obviously much more affordable (cheaper :lol:).

We were not impressed with Slick Rock CG, there was a really nice CG next door with a huge area to park car trailers. It just doesn't have the trees that Slick Rock does. But each site has a nice shade shelter.

Also interested in the low boy concept. Just did the math on the gas to get my cruiser to moab and back. The gas alone would be about $480 dollars figuring 12 miles per gallon that my tower or the cruiser gets. Then there is the wear and tear on a vehicle my dad always preached to me about. So, if we have 4 rigs(?) on the lowboy that would be about a 2 grand we would save on not driving our rigs. Then there is the fuel for the low boy and the rental fee. Hmmm, it may be that we are paying extra for the comfort of not having to drive there in a 40 or having to tow one. Will be fun to see if we can swing it.:idea:

Keith, you are absolutely going to love Moab and so will the wife.

After our first time (around '99), Darcie described it as Disneyland for adults. You can stay either in a campground or motel, go out wheel all day on anything from mild to wild, come back to town, have dinner and do it all over the next day. Most of the trails start out just outside of town, literally.

Some of our favorites:

Moab Rim
Golden Spike (three trails in one)
Golden Crack:

Prichett Canyon (hardcore and can be long if there are other people, but what a trail)
Steelbender (a little milder, but has some good obstacles and the finish is awesome as you cross a creek next to some petroglyphs)
Hells Revenge (its like running the dunes, only the dunes are petrified, so awesome traction and you can play in the "hottubs")
Shawn and Dan on HR:

Cliffhanger (wicked ledges and awesome view at the end)
View from the top of Cliffhanger:

I would suggest checking with a vehicle shipper over "renting" a low-boy, even though you have a CDL driver, let someone who is going that way and back worry about the fuel/wear/tear. It will probably be cheaper to just pay them the flat rate, just set up the pickup and delivery dates on both sides. People ship their rigs to Moab all the time that way.

Depending on dates, maybe Darcie and I will go. I'll just rent a Jeep for a day or two from one of the local renters.

Jack

Last edited:
Keith, you are absolutely going to love Moab and so will the wife.

After our first time (around '99), Darcie described it as Disneyland for adults. You can stay either in a campground or motel, go out wheel all day on anything from mild to wild, come back to town, have dinner and do it all over the next day. Most of the trails start out just outside of town, literally.

Some of our favorites:

Moab Rim
Golden Spike (three trails in one)
Golden Crack:
http://locrwln.smugmug.com/Rockcrawling/Moab-2008/9148907_VTjPgR#!i=610175144&k=kWdDC&lb=1&s=A
Prichett Canyon (hardcore and can be long if there are other people, but what a trail)
Steelbender (a little milder, but has some good obstacles and the finish is awesome as you cross a creek next to some petroglyphs)
Hells Revenge (its like running the dunes, only the dunes are petrified, so awesome traction and you can play in the "hottubs")
Shawn and Dan on HR:
http://locrwln.smugmug.com/Rockcrawling/Moab-2008/9148907_VTjPgR#!i=610176110&k=xVDUM&lb=1&s=A
Cliffhanger (wicked ledges and awesome view at the end)
View from the top of Cliffhanger:
http://locrwln.smugmug.com/Rockcrawling/Moab-2008/9148907_VTjPgR#!i=610177720&k=Aa6bi&lb=1&s=A

I would suggest checking with a vehicle shipper over "renting" a low-boy, even though you have a CDL driver, let someone who is going that way and back worry about the fuel/wear/tear. It will probably be cheaper to just pay them the flat rate, just set up the pickup and delivery dates on both sides. People ship their rigs to Moab all the time that way.

Depending on dates, maybe Darcie and I will go. I'll just rent a Jeep for a day or two from one of the local renters.

Jack

Hell YEAH!!!
As you may recall, when the Vortec idea first came up, Moab was ONE of the trails that came to mind as a reason for doing the swap on the Blotch rig.
Seemed to be a BIG run to plan, so NEXT YEAR would probably be better for everyone!
That would be AWESOME if you and Darcie would go! No dates have even been thought of yet, but if all interested parties wanna start penciling in some time....LETS DO IT!!!!:bounce::bounce2::steer:

I WANNA GO!!!!

Im in .... been there done that... and it will cost me the same towing one or three... will have to borrow/rent a trailer...

moab1.jpg

moab2.jpg

moab3.jpg

Last edited:
single trailer

I'd be willing to let somebody use my trailer for 2013 if needed. It's an 18' tandem axle with a beaver tail. Like new condition. It will only haul one but better than not. I have tie down points alrady located for a 40.

Ben.

I would love to go to Moab in 2013. I am not a member but would like to be. I have a TLC 80 I could tow one 40. I don't have a trailer. figure splitting the gas or something.

Mat

Have any dates been set yet?

Just as a bit of advise, look to make sure there are not any other major gatherings going on at the same time. You probably won't fnd a weekend in the spring that there isn't something going on, but as long as it is not one of the "bigger" ones, you should be ok.

Jack

CRUISE MOAB 2014
April 29 - May 3

Cruise Moab is scheduled for
Tuesday, April 29 - Saturday, May 3, 2014. Rising Sun will once again be hosting Land Cruiser and Toyota 4x4 enthusiasts from all over the world for a long weekend of fun in the Utah desert. The 2014 event will feature trails in the Moab area such as the Arches family run and Dome Plateau along with annual classics such as Poison Spider Mesa and Hells Revenge. We look forward to seeing all our old friends, and making lots of new friends. See you in May!

I want to go. Anyone else?:hmm:

TOTALLY interested, but that falls on BLOTCH week. It would take an act of God for me to miss that.

I am in I have my camp spot booked and some trails picked awaiting the web sit to start to pay a pick trails.

Interested... just not sure if I can get off that week. Also open to other expedition ideas. I'd like to get out for longer trip (but not too long) some time this spring.

Last edited:
TOTALLY interested, but that falls on BLOTCH week. It would take an act of God for me to miss that.

I'll see what I can do:). This really isn't a whole week. They want you to show up wed afternoon for inspections. So leaving tues. pm and finish the drive after an overnight would be fine.

Kurt they have trails that would fit your rig perfectly. They did say they would limit access to certain trails unless your rig meets requirements--probably a good idea--to keep the flow moving.:idea:

Anyway still considering this. Ran it by the boss last night:confused:

Looking at their trail rating system, I figure I can handle 6 without issue. At 7 might be doable... and with some more protection (*), I'd likely be up to the challenge. 8+ they want 35", so that puts me out. They do count A-TRAC as a second locker. But they only rate one trail as an 8.

* rear diff skid arrived yesterday... was just outside giving it some paint.

And if there's going to be water crossing beyond 18", I'll have to finally do the scuba mod (raise the breathers).

Last edited:
Would love to go again, $$$ and see what the boss says,

Most of the rigs had lifts and lockers, even in the sandpaper rock of Moab you need the ground clearance for the waterfalls and lockers for the stair steps. Most of the fj cruisers had 3.5 inch lifts and 33's at least, fj80's 35's and 3", There were some stock rigs that did gold bar rim and some of the easier stuff,

In my 80 with 33 and 2 in lift stock protection ( not much) 6 was hard at times. I beat my exhaust flat on my slee bumper and bounce off my catilictic converter twice. But they rising sun guys were great got me though. Lockers are good but a lot of the rock is sticky you don't need it. But the 80 is heavy so....

Thanks for the words of caution. I watched a few vids, especially the end-over-end roll overs, that got me thinking that maybe I should at least avoids 7+s. I got have 2.5" of lift. 33"s, rear link upgrades... and soon better-than-stock protection (1/4" aluminum full skids + steel diff skid).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom