Military Modular Sleeping Bags (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
They're decent to sleep in. You can prob find them a bit cheaper, but i'd say $150 isn't that bad for an ARMY sleeping system if you're getting all of the sections. I've spent a few cold and rainy nights trying to sleep in them. Go for it

calico,

I can't help you with the price but I can say that the system is not bad. Like Devilmans Hand, Uncle Sugar was nice enough to let me use one for a few years in some pretty cold places.

good to know they work. :cheers:
right now my system is 1.45*, bag 1.30*,Bag 1,0*bag and a spare 20* bag for emergency's like when a buddy forgets or loses a bag on the trail. It has happened more then once.
I want to save a little space my system is bit bulky in the 40.

They're decent to sleep in. You can prob find them a bit cheaper, but i'd say $150 isn't that bad for an ARMY sleeping system if you're getting all of the sections. I've spent a few cold and rainy nights trying to sleep in them. Go for it

calico,

I can't help you with the price but I can say that the system is not bad. Like Devilmans Hand, Uncle Sugar was nice enough to let me use one for a few years in some pretty cold places.

I have had a few could nights I thought would never end so
If it keeps you warm and dry I think the price is not that bad.

:cheers:

How tall are you? I'm around 6'4" and it's not very comfy to jam myself into the black "intermediate bag," which is the limiting factor when you've got the whole setup assembled. Not sure if they make a long version, but last exercise they sure didn't issue different sizes. Otherwise, warm system, and it's nice to have the Gore-Tex if you're sleeping on the ground.

If you need a place to store that new bag, I have some MOLLE 2 Sleep System packs for sale. It's the bag only, unless you want the pad.
20 bux shipped to your location. PM me if interested. nspctr1@att.net

Kevin

They are a bit on the heavy side, and the synth is arguable less durable than down. That being said I still use my bivy sack regularly and LOVE it, I did build a hoop system to keep the gortex off of my face...

When I was in the Corps one of the more unpleasant times I had was the winter survival package in Bridgeport California (upwards of 9,000') in the dead of winter. Part of the training was each night they removed one of our sleeping bags starting with the black one then the green and finally left us with just the bivy. You would be surprised how nice they were once you didn't have them any more :grinpimp: but that being said the bivy was litterally a life saver. Also not that it needs to be said, but a drill instructor once told us "if you give a Marine an anvile in the desert he will find a way to break it". This statement has far more truth to it than one might think and I never broke my bivy, I did once manage to wear a small hole in it (smaller than a pencil eraser) but wouldn't imagine you would ever wear yours out. As for gore tex check out their web sight if you do buy a used one as it may need some love to get it back in shape (or find the thread here on mud) If you do not care for your Gore Tex propperly it will not work as well as it should and again Marines and soldiers are not known for treating gear well.

:edit:
As for the price that is far less than they were when I was active duty, but I would say well worth it.

Last edited:
That's a smokin' deal at this point!!!! I've got to start watching that one.

They are a bit on the heavy side, and the synth is arguable less durable than down.

Also the synthetics don't loose insulation capacity when wet. I don't bother with down. Modern synthetics are very well worth it despite the extra weight for the maintenance of insulation capacity when wet.

Edit: Modern synthetic sleeping bags need to be stored between trips uncompressed, just like down ones. I fold mine up and stick them at the top of the closet in large trash bags.

Last edited:
If I was in the market for a sleeping bag right now I'd consider the military system. As is I have a selection of cheap 40, 20, and 0 degree bags and the back of the truck easily carries so much weight and volume.... I use the extras as a sleeping pad.

If I was in the market for a sleeping bag right now I'd consider the military system. As is I have a selection of cheap 40, 20, and 0 degree bags and the back of the truck easily carries so much weight and volume.... I use the extras as a sleeping pad.

that is what I do now. there just not water proof. I should get the outer shell.

How tall are you? I'm around 6'4" and it's not very comfy to jam myself into the black "intermediate bag," which is the limiting factor when you've got the whole setup assembled. Not sure if they make a long version, but last exercise they sure didn't issue different sizes. Otherwise, warm system, and it's nice to have the Gore-Tex if you're sleeping on the ground.

Hi, I have extra long modular bags available. Send me a message if interested, mats are included too.

I used the down mummy and then the extreeme poly mummy bag in the military. Uncle Sam let me keep the poly bag. My son recently appropriated my poly bag so I got a new modular off ebay still in the dod wrapping. Keep an eye on ebay you can get a really good deal if you are willing to shop. I got my system with both stuff sacks for $110 with free shipping. They are true dod bags. This bag beats all prior military bags hands down. This opinion comes from experience using all of these bags on many nights in many different places. I am 6' 1" and I dont have any fitment problems. The only drawback is the weight but I don't backpack anymore so it isn't a issue with me. The bags aren't that bulky if you use the compression bags. I used the black compression bag for the mod system and the olive bag for my poncho liner and camp pillow, worked great. Haul it all in my M101 CDN and set up camp.

Ps: the $110 was for new system still in the dod bag. Don't take a chance with used get the new for peice of mind.

I used the down mummy and then the extreeme poly mummy bag in the military. Uncle Sam let me keep the poly bag. My son recently appropriated my poly bag so I got a new modular off ebay still in the dod wrapping. Keep an eye on ebay you can get a really good deal if you are willing to shop. I got my system with both stuff sacks for $110 with free shipping. They are true dod bags. This bag beats all prior military bags hands down. This opinion comes from experience using all of these bags on many nights in many different places. I am 6' 1" and I dont have any fitment problems. The only drawback is the weight but I don't backpack anymore so it isn't a issue with me. The bags aren't that bulky if you use the compression bags. I used the black compression bag for the mod system and the olive bag for my poncho liner and camp pillow, worked great. Haul it all in my M101 CDN and set up camp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom