Middle seat in second row (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All –

I am looking at getting the wife SUV, we are expecting a third child in December and need more space. I would like to get her into a 200 series, because 6 to 8 years from now I could turn this into a overland rig and wheel it.

So we have been looking at SUV with a 3rd row, she is pushing for the X7. I think BMW are total POS so that out. She wants whatever we get her to captain’s chairs in the second row with space in the middle for our daughter to walk to the 3rd row. I know, sounds like a mini-van, I pushed this option but she won’t drive a mini-van. My question for the collective, has anyone modified the 200 series to remove the middle seat in the second row?

Before you say search, I did. I don’t want to remove the entire second row just the middle seat of the second row.

Thanks

That would be a bear of a job. The middle seat is fully integrated with the driver side rear seat. They're a single assembly. =/

Could you get a single rear passenger seat from a right hand drive and replace the double driver side seat with that seat? Then you would have two single seats just like the passenger side rear on the left hand drive. Not sure about the latch spacing, tho. But something to look into.

She wants whatever we get her to captain’s chairs in the second row with space in the middle for our daughter to walk to the 3rd row.

Thanks

Your A#1 argument is an emotional plea for SAFETY! It is far safer or your newborn to be in a rear facing carseat in the MIDDLE of the vehicle. Imagine the horror of being t-boned, rear-ended or in a front end collision. The furthest place from any impact zone is the middle. Also, there is safety in allowing your daughter to exit the vehicle curb-side without disturbing the new baby and distracting the mother. The 2nd row tumbles forward on the curb-side door while still allowing for the car seat to be in place, therefore allowing your other daughter to SAFELY exit the vehicle on the curb-side without climbing over the infant in the car seat (and therefore waking them up when they are soundly sleeping) and reduces the risk of being hit by an inattentive driver street side. Both driver and passenger will also have a far better view of the infant in the middle seat whether through the rear-view mirror or a quick head turn.

You can also spring for the Lexus with rear cross traffic safety alert, cameras, predictive braking, and all the other goodies (Not sure if LC comes with all that or not).

Safety first!

Could you get a single rear passenger seat from a right hand drive and replace the double driver side seat with that seat? Then you would have two single seats just like the passenger side rear on the left hand drive. Not sure about the latch spacing, tho. But something to look into.

Will this work? Do we have anyone with access to a right hand drive parts book?

With the 200 you don’t really need access to the third row at all. I have two kids in my 200 and there is plenty of space for a third car seat in the middle (3 across). I use Klek Foonf car seats which are Uber safe tanks and have a narrow frame. Got them initially for our Tesla X which by the way has exactly what your wife is looking for in the six seat configuration.

Will this work? Do we have anyone with access to a right hand drive parts book?

Pop the seats up and look at the latch-bars in the floor. When you do, it will become clear why we can’t just throw a 40% small seat on the 60% seat side. The bars are in very different places for the 40 vs 60.

I had the same predicament as you but I have 4 kids. I decided to go wilth a pre owned LX for various reasons, but primarily because I would like to attempt some overlanding with a trailer as well as the coolness factor of these cars. You just dont see too many on the road...

The alternative choice would have been to lease something for three years and then when the kids are a bit older get what I wanted. It only came down to one choice a Kia Telluride because of the high residual value it would mean Id have small payments on a “non-minivan” that looked good but obviously could not do any of the things the 200 does.

My wife then had the complete opposite response than your wife and said it would be better for 3 in the middle row with one “unlucky munchkin” in the back IF we had a full family (one of my kids is tall enough to sit up front and my wife doesnt always tag along) and so it became an easy choice.

Good luck whatever you decide!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom