Maxxis bighorn mt VS federal couragia mt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2 really cheap tire sets and I'm torn between which to buy. I've been shopping for 2 months now. it's becoming obsessive. I'm gonna bite the bullet in a week and looking for opinions. So here is the info:
They are going on an 80series. The size is 315/75/16 but I might drop down to 305/70/16 because of gearing. (currently on 285/75/16 good year wrangler kevlars). I rarely to never drive on the highway. 4Miles round trip to work everyday. Trail miles are every weekend or at least once a month. Rocks, light mud. Nothing to sketchy. I don't care about road noise or wear and only looking for the most aggressive, durable MT for MY money. Does anybody have any experience, opinions, or recomendations?

Screenshot_2016-12-31-09-22-20-1.png

Screenshot_2016-12-31-09-22-03-1.png

Screenshot_2016-12-31-09-25-34-1.png

Stay away from the Maxxis bighorns. I had them on my 84 Toyota and they were the worst tires I've dealt with in mud and snow. They didn't clean out well at all. I'm now running KM2's and am able to go places I couldn't with the Maxxis's

T
Stay away from the Maxxis bighorns. I had them on my 84 Toyota and they were the worst tires I've dealt with in mud and snow. They didn't clean out well at all. I'm now running KM2's and am able to go places I couldn't with the Maxxis's
Those km2's are monster tires. A bit out of my price range at over $1200. My kevlars are over 4years old and still more then half tread.

My other big complaint was the bighorns never wore evenly. I've never tried the Federal tires though.

I'm going to but the maxxis on the back burner. The price is right and they have good reviews but 90% of them are all pavement. Not really accurate for me. Not much info on the federals. If I go from a 315 to a 305 I can swing these milestars. But again with the el-cheapo tires, not much info on them.
And thanks for the info @Mudder .

Screenshot_2016-12-31-19-21-47.png

I have purchased tires for over 40 years. The only times I made a mistake were when I let price be my most important factor. Paying money for a s***ty tire is really a waste. Sounds like an MT is the right choice for you. The 80 w/stock gearing is fine with 315's, and they will wheel better. That's the right size. Buy a brand you've heard of - there are some cheap tires being made in China - they feed melamine to their babies. Talk to the chain tire stores and ask when they have a tire sale coming up (they all do). That's when to buy. In my area $100 off of a set of 4 is common.

I ran a set of Bighorns (33 or 34"ish... It's been a while) on a 91 Toy pickup. I had the center section of tread siped at the tire shop before install, no studs. They were pretty quiet on dry road, but did not impress in the snow, and SUCKED on ice. It seemed as if the rubber was too stiff in the cold or something. They were OKish in mud and rocks, but they just didn't preform as good as they looked. A pickup doesn't have near the weight of a cruiser, but still... I won't buy em again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom