Maxsa Escaper Buddy vs MaxTrax?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In my opinion, all of Maxtrax explanations about cost being relative to their superior product go out the window when you see them charging $140 for the carry bag. MaxTrax Bag | MaxTrax Carry Bag | Recovery Gear Bag | OK4WD
At that point it is obvious that they are simply gouging people, and although their product may be somewhat superior, it's not THAT much better.

Consider the Tred XDs as well. Mine were $200 on Amazon as opposed to $300 for MaxTrax. I used them to rescue 3 people from the snow this last winter and they held up great. One guy way over-revved and did wear down a few nubs while I yelled at him to stop, but otherwise unscathed. They come from AUS and think there might've been some lawsuits at one point, seems okay now though. Nice shovel/digging ability. Here they are in my new Remora rack mount system:

Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 10.24.02 PM.png

Comparing size, TRED's on bottom:

Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 1.10.15 PM.png

I've been using maxtrax since they were a niche product with limited availability. My brother still has my first gen units (more angular, slightly larger). I've had other people bring out a number of copies but they simply don't have the strength and longevity. As with so many things, particularly in recovery gear it is about your usage, if you're carrying them as insurance and will probably never use them, then cheap out and buy the knock-offs. If you are expecting for the STHTF regularly, then the genuine maxtrax product is worth spending extra for.

For a while I worked for a major 4wd brand and they distributed the TRED product at the time. All of the staff who were serious into using the product owned and used maxtrax.

At least with our product, we've designed our fiber-reinforced engineering grade nylon to give way under extreme circumstances before it shreds your tire. Wheelspin creates immense heat and can destroy a tire quickly.

With MAXTRAX, you really have to be sitting there spinning your tires for quite a while for it to burn the nubs off though. Recovery gear needs to have a failure point so it doesn't cause further damage or a worse situation.

Different materials are more resilient than others, and for reference the material used in MAXTRAX is roughly a squillion times the cost of what's used in those boards. It really can't be done properly with a lesser material, like making a rifle barrel out of cheese.

"engineering grade nylon"...
You order that stuff from the McMaster-Carr catalog on the page right after "space age aluminum".

"engineering grade nylon"...
You order that stuff from the McMaster-Carr catalog on the page right after "space age aluminum".
Welcome to IH8MUD, great first post!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom