Manual Tranny in 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

01Oct2003 (UTC -7)

[quote author=Sorry Dog link=board=2;threadid=5810;start=msg46209#msg46209 date=1064938773]
I've been trying to find some more info on the manuals offered in non-US 80's (h150f and h151F) but I'm not having much luck with the usual search tactics.

Has anyone swapped one of these into a US 80?

I'd love to see a pic or two of a factory manual or converted setup.
[/quote]

Maybe this'll help? ;)
http://www.pbase.com/image/19534523

19534523.HDJ80L_cabin.jpg

Yup- that's what me wants.

So a left hand drive model was made for somewhere?? I hope that would make a conversion easier.
I personally like a short clutch travel.

That Transmission Tunnel looks very different, As when I sit in the Passenger Seat of Dad's FZJ80R, There is not much room for my right foot, Also there is the Heater stuff in the way at the top of the Foot Well.

[quote author=Sorry Dog link=board=2;threadid=5810;start=msg46209#msg46209 date=1064938773]
I've been trying to find some more info on the manuals offered in non-US 80's (h150f and h151F) but I'm not having much luck with the usual search tactics.

Has anyone swapped one of these into a US 80?

I'd love to see a pic or two of a factory manual or converted setup.
[/quote]

I know Alan Padvin did this. Imported all the bits and pieces from Australia. Not sure on cost. I know one thing though, you will get check engine lights because the auto tranny is gone. Not sure how you are going to deal with that.

Also, I wheeled with Alejandro in Paragon. He has a South American 80 with a manual, running 4.88's and 35" tires. It was really hard to control the truck on the trail. The clutch took a hamering. If you go manual and want to rock crawl, you are going to need Loooow gears.

There are a few rocks around here (Bama) but usually they are covered with a mud pit.
If I could find enough parts to do it- it would be at the same time as a motor conversion. However, if the existing tunnel isn't big enough- it seems like a converting just isn't practical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom